wasps entering one hive Help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the diagrams well done!!! phew one problem solved... Yup iphones teach patience alright!! mine only survived cos it is so usefull.. but it was a close run thing!!! very close... ah well...thank you for your help in explaing the idea... spent ages drawing rectangles then trying to copy and paste, then gave up and went to bed!! iphone has more work to do i guess...

Got one:
WaspGuard.jpg

R2

great photo!

i once fixed a fiddly little piece of glass 8" x 2" leaning across a 1" wide bee entrance which also worked - but there was never that great a wasp problem as my hives' next to a big Victoria plum tree which always offers a more attractive harvest!

Reduce entrance - to a single bee way if necessary.

Consider re-positioning the frames in the hive so that the occupied ones are near to the entrance, and so that the bees are better able to defend the entrance.

Do not manipulate unecessarily, and do not hang around when you do manipulate.

If wasps are coming and going unchallenged and you are more concerned at the situation, stick on a feed of light syrup in the evening, bang the hive to get the wasps out, let the bees settle, and then block up the entrance for 2 or 3 days.

Agree. This will give the colony a chance to recover themselves. Then use a very small opening.

from the OP: The colony is still pretty small

Sums it up really. More bees is the answer. Strong colonies can defend against wasps.

Until VM posted (the method above) last year, strong colonies with a reasonable sized entrance were always my defence (and still is). I have only had one colony (a split, really) threatened seriously in the last 5 years, and I simply re-united it, so end of problem.

I am never bothered if the wasps are being a nuisance as long as any managing to avoid the guard bees either exit in a very few seconds, harassed by a large group of bees, or leave the hive by being stretchered out in less than 5 mins.

Regards, RAB

Back