Wasps entering hive, and being let in, stung to death!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
Okay, so opinions on wasps attacking and entering hives, it's odd all hives (4) have entrance reduced to single bee space, 3 hives are handling them well and keeping them out, but the largest colony, decides to let them in and attack and sting them and kill them.

I've also got some smaller nucs, for overwintering, but wasps do not seem to be hassling those hives.

and there are many wasps being let in, just makes me think to move this hive, but then wasps my attack the other hives ?

Anyone seen this behaviour ?

Comments ?

My original post obviously did go up. I thought there was a problem so I deleted it! Just so others know!

@enrico I'm sure I had some left over in the garage otherwise a trip to a DIY shop!

thanks for the great tip

Got to do something to try and keep these things out.

Andy

I wasn't sure what size of conduit, either 25mm or 45mm, I don't suppose it matters I purchased both and fitted one on the hive under attack, the other 3 hives are so primed and defensive, they were all out, when I entered the apiary!

Waspbane will be arriving as well, and will close the hive for 1 hour, don't suppose bees will mind, it's hissing down, bees not out or flying, but wasps are!

Anyway thanks for the link!

Andy

I think I have posted these photos before

Thanks, yes seeing a lot of that in my hive, just odd this hive lets them in, and others do not, maybe it's because these bees have a much better temperament, and very easy to handle, compared to other hives, these are from a different Beekeeper further North than me, in an area with not many Beekeepers! So claimed these are better bees, not better if they get overwhelmed with wasps!

If the wasps are already hammering them place some bottle traps around they’ll at least take out the forages in the area.

Interesting behaviour... Reminds me a little of the bees used to the Giant Asian Hornets which let them in then ball them. Obviously different but still interesting...

Just to say I'm still seeing wasps hunting and nest building so it looks like the wasp season still has a little more mileage left in it yet.

Okay, so opinions on wasps attacking and entering hives, ...... but the largest colony, decides to let them in and attack and sting them and kill them.

Anyone seen this behaviour ?
Comments ?

A few days ago I saw that a wasp came out from hive and it has full load of honey.... such is life.

Yes, I've never seen so many wasps at this time of year!

and never been stung on my Testicles either by wasps or any other insect,, until this season when feeding bees syrup!

never had them either! not going to feed the bees, again in just a jacket!

never had them either! not going to feed the bees, again in just a jacket!

I tend to make sure I'm wearing pants, trousers, shoes and socks with my jacket. It reduces the risk of a number of things, including that of being arrested for indecent exposure...

I tend to make sure I'm wearing pants, trousers, shoes and socks with my jacket. It reduces the risk of a number of things, including that of being arrested for indecent exposure...

that made me laugh, as many people have said, why are you beekeeping with no cloths on!

Latest posts

Back