Wasps and Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Here you clearly see a redundant wasp nest next to an active colony.

I would suggest the wasps robbed out the weak colony last year then naturally expired, leaving empty comb for a recent swarm to move in.

As ever, unique and amazing.

Attachments

• 20200814_153240.jpg
    20200814_153240.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
Must have been noisy in there I reckon?
As you say, pretty unique - it’s an interesting job you have.

Wasps are being a real PITA here at the moment. The bees seem to be coping OK though and I have traps in front of the hives which work very well. Plus I get to play Whack-a-Wasp for a few minutes every day!

Wasps are being a real PITA here at the moment. The bees seem to be coping OK though and I have traps in front of the hives which work very well. Plus I get to play Whack-a-Wasp for a few minutes every day!

I believe the advise is not to smash wasps near your hives as the pheromones they give off draws more wasps in.

I find it quite therapeutic to spend a good twenty minutes hopping around my hives on one foot whilst using my other garden shoe to play 'Whack-a-Wasp' 🥿:D

Doesn't this just attract more wasps than you would have got anyway?
I think not. Defensive behavior depends how close you are to the wasp nest in the same way that squashing a few bees a mile from the hive does not have the same effect as at the hive entrance.

Doesn't this just attract more wasps than you would have got anyway?
Think about hives. Loads of bees and honey with a scent plume in the air stretching miles and attracting every wasp in the neighbourhood.

A few wasp traps will make no difference.

Fitted two types of tunnel entrance today, both of which appear to have worked.
Finally found one of the wasp nests in the riverbank about fifty yards away from my apiary.
It will be dealt with this evening if I can find it again at dusk.

Attachments

• BCD1F2A3-1930-4A95-9162-E7E4C55C0B3C.jpeg
    BCD1F2A3-1930-4A95-9162-E7E4C55C0B3C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 901B7D05-437F-4488-AA3C-0C614C9C8F0D.jpeg
    901B7D05-437F-4488-AA3C-0C614C9C8F0D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Found the nest and the small tunnel into the bank. I stuck my gas weed wand into it, fired it up and gave them a half minute blast. Not a single wasp came out after me😜👍🐝

This is probably an obvious new beekeeper comment/question BUT.. had to stop my hive inspection three frames in today as wasps kept diving into the brood box. This is my first year and first experience of this so I ask, should I just have cracked on and let the bees deal with it? I’ve seen them hanging about the hive but didn’t seem to be getting in... I also didn’t want to interfere and squish a wasp or two down to what I’ve read on here about distress pheromones... What should I have done better?

This is probably an obvious new beekeeper comment/question BUT.. had to stop my hive inspection three frames in today as wasps kept diving into the brood box. This is my first year and first experience of this so I ask, should I just have cracked on and let the bees deal with it? I’ve seen them hanging about the hive but didn’t seem to be getting in... I also didn’t want to interfere and squish a wasp or two down to what I’ve read on here about distress pheromones... What should I have done better?

Hi, I find it best to try to keep the boxes covered as you take them off, I use pieces of ply cut to size, which prevents too many bees flying as well as reducing the risk of wasp entry. Also you could use something like a tea towel to keep frames covered as you inspect.
I try to do the absolute minimum when the Jaspers are around.
Wasps that do get in to the brood area though, often only come out again dead.
Ask yourself what you’re inspecting for and decide if it’s really necessary. If it is then remain calm and be as efficient as you can, ensuring you have all the required gear to hand. You certainly don’t want to leave the hive open any longer than necessary.

Fitted two types of tunnel entrance today, both of which appear to have worked.
Finally found one of the wasp nests in the riverbank about fifty yards away from my apiary.
It will be dealt with this evening if I can find it again at dusk.
Is that an entrance feeder you are using? Does it not attract robbers?

Latest posts

Back