Waspbane Trap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Does anyone know what the secret ingredients are apart from what we add our self , i'm sure i have one little sachet narrowed down to yeast from the smell of the sediment when i emptied it out a month or two ago, what is the white powder because i will be fooked if i will be paying 16 quid for a replacement bait chamber come summer time, when i still have the original one here.
It is sneaky of the wasbane manufacturer by the way to try and make it hard to empty the original bait chamber out without breaking it.

It's easy to wriggle out the rubber seal...then you can empty them. I used a mix of vinegar jam and yeast and sugar....plus water. Worked for me.

<snip >
It is sneaky of the wasbane manufacturer by the way to try and make it hard to empty the original bait chamber out without breaking it.

Not sneaky. Designed to stop muppets killing themselves. Dead wasps are still a hazard and are still able to inflict passive stings that can result in anaphylaxis. We are aware of two experienced pest controllers who ended up in hospital with anaphylaxis as a consequence of cleaning out wasp pots. Anyone who forcibly removes the self sealing safety seal and gets stung doing so absolves the company from litigation by reason of purposefully circumventing a safety feature. It is all to do with safety and avoiding litigation in a high risk arena and nothing to do with being sneaky. And frankly I resent the slur.

I didn't know that Karol....I knew stings could still happen even with a dead wasp. I just thought it was to stop the wasps from getting out. Great design.

Also note Millett that the fluid chamber is of lesser quality plastic, and after a few seasons will decay and split.

Not sneaky. Designed to stop muppets killing themselves. Dead wasps are still a hazard and are still able to inflict passive stings that can result in anaphylaxis. We are aware of two experienced pest controllers who ended up in hospital with anaphylaxis as a consequence of cleaning out wasp pots. Anyone who forcibly removes the self sealing safety seal and gets stung doing so absolves the company from litigation by reason of purposefully circumventing a safety feature. It is all to do with safety and avoiding litigation in a high risk arena and nothing to do with being sneaky. And frankly I resent the slur.
:sorry:

It's easy to wriggle out the rubber seal...then you can empty them. I used a mix of vinegar jam and yeast and sugar....plus water. Worked for me.

It is easy Trem but i found it easier after warming it up with hot water, in my home made traps i used a mix of sugar and jam and topped it up with cheap larger which worked well , on the topic of getting stung from dead wasps, if you don't behave like a 4yr old child we should be ok , infact i will be ok either way as i have been stung plenty of times in the past and my body shows very little reaction to wasp stings.

< snip> on the topic of getting stung from dead wasps, if you don't behave like a 4yr old child we should be ok , infact i will be ok either way as i have been stung plenty of times in the past and my body shows very little reaction to wasp stings.

And forever may it stay that way. Problem is though that each time you get stung by a wasp you risk reacting based on other factors changing your susceptibility. For example there is something called the mosquito-wasp sting syndrome whereby if you're bitten by a mosquito just before you are stung by a wasp you have an elevated risk of reacting to the wasp sting. Similarly if you're suffering with a cold or skin infection or using topical antihistamines your risk of reacting is also elevated.

By the way no need to apologise - we're good :)

And forever may it stay that way. Problem is though that each time you get stung by a wasp you risk reacting based on other factors changing your susceptibility. For example there is something called the mosquito-wasp sting syndrome whereby if you're bitten by a mosquito just before you are stung by a wasp you have an elevated risk of reacting to the wasp sting. Similarly if you're suffering with a cold or skin infection or using topical antihistamines your risk of reacting is also elevated.

By the way no need to apologise - we're good :)
Thank you for that, my intention was not to offend you, infact that is the last thing i would purposely do, if it was not for your advise over the past several months regarding my wasp problem i may well have lost my first colony, normaly i would not be bothered about offending folk if i spoke my mind but i value your knowledge quite a lot.
Thank you.
Steve.

Thank you for that, my intention was not to offend you, infact that is the last thing i would purposely do, if it was not for your advise over the past several months regarding my wasp problem i may well have lost my first colony, normaly i would not be bothered about offending folk if i spoke my mind but i value your knowledge quite a lot.
Thank you.
Steve.

There's no problem in speaking your mind. To be honest I'm pleased that you aired your thoughts because if you've had them then others will have too and it's given me the opportunity to set the record straight as far as design rationale goes.

I'm glad that you managed to save your hive and I feel privileged to have helped. My absolute priority though is protecting human health and wasps exert a massive toll in that respect. I know of no other area of environmental health where between 200,000 and 400,000 people seek primary medical intervention, in excess of 1,000 people are hospitalised for non-kounis health complications, circa 1,000 are hospitalised in coronary care units for kounis complications and a unknown number most likely circa 1,000 die and very little if anything is done about it. Yet if 57 people are affected in an E.coli outbreak it makes national news.

So, the thought of more people being harmed unnecessarily as a consequence of following the example set by others circumventing a safety device on a forum doesn't sit comfortably and requires a challenge. And to put things into perspective, I only found out about this forum when I googled what people were saying about the product so this forum has a much wider audience than just the beekeeping fraternity.

Latest posts

Back