Wasp Problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard60

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Both my hives are being visited by wasps. I think it has just started and I can still see both colonies in the hive. I have numerous wasp traps and had restricted access to the hive.

Last night I closed the hives totally to stop the wasps going in. What should I do, keep the hive closed or open it up again????

Wasp activity this late - wow. Hopefully its just the remnants. This colder weather should kill them off. Try leaving things as they are for 24 hrs and then keep your entrance really small.
Just a thought - your wasp traps aren't attracting them in are they ? there might be a nest somewhere around locally.

The down side of the mild climate eh?

Not seen one for a week here and this morning it was a white over, screen scraping minus 3. I rather think mine are dead. :)

PH

I have lots around my hives more than I want do might have to up the wasp control some how

I know a bit about them from my time as a ghillie up there in Perthshire.

I used to hate cleggs when grouse beating in Perthshire..

Fair comment - mostly we just get midges where I am.

I reckon I'm only about ~70 miles south of yourself and I seen several wasps yesterday around the apiary.

I used to hate cleggs when grouse beating in Perthshire..

The most annoying things were the keds off the red deer, after skinning, used to find them crawling all over you in bed of a night.

I've one hive at the back of the house here I noticed 3 wasps entering and leaving the hive in around 5 minutes,
Was minus 3 -4 here last night,

We have observed wasps go into a second procreative cycle which is quite unusual and we've only (so far) observed this behaviour prior to harsh winters. Probably only coincidence but there you go.

The pattern with a second procreative cycle is that wasp colonies produce their sexual gynes pretty much on queue around the end of July and the resident queen then stops laying brood. The workers switch to sweet feeding as with no brood they are unable to get carbohydrates from within the nest from larval digestion of chitin from insect skeletons. The sweet feeding continues for a few weeks and then abruptly stops giving the false impression that wasps have disappeared. In fact, the queen has laid a second round of sexual gynes that need insect prey for development so the workers switch back to hunting (protein feeding).

Once the new sexual gynes have been produced the workers switch back to sweet feeding late on as they have done now. This repeat procreative cycle does tend to catch beeks out a bit because they assume the wasp problem has gone whereas it's more akin to being in the eye of the storm.

The real problem here is that if the bees have started to cluster they won't necessarily defend their stores leaving wasps free entry to rob out winter stores. There's no sign of fighting. Just head down starved bees in late winter or early spring. Now is a time for close monitoring and if the bees are clustering then even tunnel entrances won't necessarily be enough to prevent robbing.

I still have wasps here in Suffolk. Checked the feed in one hive - looked down the middle of the English Feeder into the hive and there was a wasp wandering around. Bees still defending narrow (1 beespace wide) entrance on some hives, but not all.

Got 2 waspbanes still out around the hives, but couldn't see any activity around those now.

No idea what to do about them now.

We have observed wasps go into a second procreative cycle which is quite unusual and we've only (so far) observed this behaviour prior to harsh winters. Probably only coincidence but there you go.

The pattern with a second procreative cycle is that wasp colonies produce their sexual gynes pretty much on queue around the end of July and the resident queen then stops laying brood. The workers switch to sweet feeding as with no brood they are unable to get carbohydrates from within the nest from larval digestion of chitin from insect skeletons. The sweet feeding continues for a few weeks and then abruptly stops giving the false impression that wasps have disappeared. In fact, the queen has laid a second round of sexual gynes that need insect prey for development so the workers switch back to hunting (protein feeding).

Once the new sexual gynes have been produced the workers switch back to sweet feeding late on as they have done now. This repeat procreative cycle does tend to catch beeks out a bit because they assume the wasp problem has gone whereas it's more akin to being in the eye of the storm.

The real problem here is that if the bees have started to cluster they won't necessarily defend their stores leaving wasps free entry to rob out winter stores. There's no sign of fighting. Just head down starved bees in late winter or early spring. Now is a time for close monitoring and if the bees are clustering then even tunnel entrances won't necessarily be enough to prevent robbing.

Even when the ground has been white and the wind screen of the car has had to be scraped on a morning..what would the wasps feed on as it is too cold for insects to fly..

Here on the hills in East Cornwall I haven't seen a wasp for a week and that was a queen in my workshop, now deceased.

Well, sweet stuff, eg honey ..

It is too cold for insects to fly how would wasps sweet feed... that is unless we find any stunned by the cold.. warm them up and spray them with sugar syrup and then let them fly away to get stunned again with the -1C temps..:rolleyes:

Last sources of carbs at this time of year include late flowering ivy, hives, fruit litter left on compost heaps and human sources around food production & sales.

Day temperatures of 10°C plus will still see wasps out and about.

Latest posts

Back