Wasp Nests And???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
I was out checking all the wasp nests I found last year, just to check that they were no longer living, when I found something sticking out of the ground, not something I expected to see.
I will go out and take a photo tomorrow and you can tell me if it is what I think it is!!!!

Brian

I have had a very small deeling with pest control work and i was always under the impression from someone how knew a lot more than me the basics is at the end of last year the queen goes off to build a new small golf ball nest which she then stays in untill the next year and then that golf ball becomes the start of next years nest, i all the times i have beem working in lofts i have never come accros an old wasp nest being reused,

almost forgot a natural place for a wasp nest is under ground they have only used roof spaces and such like since we made them avalible with poor brick work and the like, go into your loft with a spray can of squirty foam and when the day light shines through when you turn the inside light on and off find the gaps and fill em in quick before the season starts.

badgers and foxes will actualy gaurd against other animals disturbing "thier" wasp nest as they wait untill it is ready for them to harvest them in the they go ripping it apart to get the grubs out

Ooh even more intrigued now! Don't forget the camera tomorrow!

Youve realy got us all waiting>>>>>>>>> queen wasps will hibernate anywhere its warm over winter the cups u see with a queen in spring is one thats come out of hibernation and is starting a nest. I was told that they never use old nest but they mignt make a new 1 next to the old one most nests i deal with are usually in attic right in eaves they usually gain entry under tiles just above gutter

almost forgot a natural place for a wasp nest is under ground they have only used roof spaces and such like since we made them avalible with poor brick work and the like, go into your loft with a spray can of squirty foam and when the day light shines through when you turn the inside light on and off find the gaps and fill em in quick before the season starts.

badgers and foxes will actualy gaurd against other animals disturbing "thier" wasp nest as they wait untill it is ready for them to harvest them in the they go ripping it apart to get the grubs out

I thought their was two types of wasp the common and the German they have different markings on their heads. One builds a nest underground and one in places like lofts. But could be wrong Regards Andrew

is it the back end of a porcupine? ours has been having a good snuffle through piles of leaves under the snow.

There was one roaming South Staffs a few years ago after absconding from (I think) Drayton Manor Park and Zoo. Anyway, it ended up as roadkill.

OK, so here's what happened.
Yesterday I went to check on a very large wasp nest that I found in a rabbit hole close to my bees last year. I had tipped a little petrol in the wasp hole to kill them and wanted to check that I had got them all, as it was a huge nest.
As rabbits tend to have more than one entrance/exit, I had a look around to see if there were any others.
There was, I found it, along with this, see photo.....

IMG_0286-resize.jpg
[/IMG]

OK, so here's what happened.
Yesterday I went to check on a very large wasp nest that I found in a rabbit hole close to my bees last year. I had tipped a little petrol in the wasp hole to kill them and wanted to check that I had got them all, as it was a huge nest.
As rabbits tend to have more than one entrance/exit, I had a look around to see if there were any others.
There was, I found it, along with this, see photo.....

IMG_0286-resize.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeez........you found the wife.

Lets save you a little time and consternation about these wasp nests.

A short read of the life cycle of our delightful, honey bee attacking wasp, which is a eusocial carnivorous insect, will reveal that all nests are vacated at the season end and will not be used again. The queens for the following season will have been mated and will have hibernated elsewhere.

The queens will emerge in the spring and each will construct her own new nest, which will be further expanded by the first, and subsequent, sterile worker wasps if/when they emerge from her initial 'single-handed' brooding. Then, the brooding duties are taken over by the worker wasps.

That means any jasper nest, in use last year, will be dead, empty, unused and scrap.

Solitary bees and wasps are different, when it comes to their habits.

RAB

if it is what i think it is i would suggest that you try to call the police as we have to do that on sites, if it is human and older than 60 years it is collected by the corener for burrial if its less than that it becomes an crime, and as such a lot of very nice police men will come and dig your garden for you, buy some spuds and ask them to burry them as they go.

ermm looks likea tibial bone to me any idea what the circumference of the bone is might give some indication as to its previous owner, BTW don't touch it just a visual guess and of course keep us updated.

Where abouts in Norfolk are you BKP? Could it be an archaeological site? I'll just go and get my trowel!

ermm looks likea tibial bone to me any idea what the circumference of the bone is might give some indication as to its previous owner, BTW don't touch it just a visual guess and of course keep us updated.

Agree with the tibia bit. How deep down is it.

Looks like a bit of elder or old broken sunflower root to me, but I'm no forensic sort, my imagination is limited and I have no spuds needing planted.

Bee_Kee_pur, provide the location to those that reckon that it's a tibea and see who will call in the boys in blue on the basis of their visual skills? Or maybe the lucky candidates can PM you for the details, but don't expect too much of a rush or much need to put the kettle on.

Jezd, you naughty boy, look what you started. LoL.

Last edited:
old bone, dont worry about it, probably a fallow or similar. Someone found it, or a dog found it then someone shoved it down the rabbit hole.

Makes me laugh how you guys study bees, yet fail to study their arch enemies.

old queens die after one season, autumn early winter as the food source (which is sweet liquid, not insects) runs out.
Newly hatched/mated queens will then hibernate earlier than you think, and spend the rest of the winter hunkerd down.

Warm weather too early is the downfall, rather than cold winters.
Do bees freeze to death? Hmmmm

Previous years nests will never be re-used. Dont worry about them.

Burning out nests underground, apart from the delight factor, you aint doing a shits worth of good. Forget it. The fuel is either burned off before it reaches the nest, or it soaks into the ground to be uneffective.
Yes you can kill them with petrol fumes if you can get it close enough to the nest to overwhelm it, but underground!!! Nah!

Latest posts

Back