Wasp excluder - mesh size?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

I have been trying to find information on the size (width) of the common wasp as I was thinking to put some mesh over the beehive entrance similar to a queen excluder. Would still leave a gap for queen, drones (and wasps) but it would be much easier to defend for a small colony.

What would be the ideal size mesh to use?

No. Wasps are smaller than bees. It’s only the queen who is large and you are giving the bees lots of small holes to defend.
The best defence is a hive full of bees covering every frame. Even a nuc can defend itself if it is well populated.
You could consider an underfloor entrance and you can even reduce the porch

Last edited:
Beekeepers have a fascination with entrances I remember years ago being told to adjust to summer and winter sizes, come summer we would open the whole thing up it’s rubbish. I got fed up when often moving hives andbentrances falling or pulling out when stuffing foam in. I simply made up a load of floors with the blocks screwed in. They are 5” wide and 18mm high come wasp season I stuff a bit of foam in a corner to restrict and that’s it. On my home made nucs there’s an 18mm tunnel about 2” long that’s all they need all year.

Latest posts

Back