Washboarding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILL.HEARD

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Noticed half the hives in the garden were 'Washboarding' this morning for several hours, first time this year.

Noticed half the hives in the garden were 'Washboarding' this morning for several hours, first time this year.

Had to look up the term "washboarding" as I have never heard of it - let alone in relation to bees. For anyone else who isn't familiar - take a look at this link, provided by Hivemaker last year. As it turns out, I have seen washboarding, but only in a nuc. I was amazed at the numbers of bees washboarding in this video...

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=327322&highlight=washboarding#post327322

That is SUCH a relief. I had seen a couple doing it and wondered if it was part of acute bee paralysis!!!

Phew!

I'd never heard of it or even seen that, amazing, are you sure they are not just adolescent bees having a bit of a boogie?

LOL ratcatcher! :icon_204-2:

I've seen my bees washboarding! I had completely forgotten about it. There was a flow on at the time too. Great to watch. I would love to know what it meant.

The term "Washboarding" might give a good clue..

Hi all,
I noticed one of my colonies doing this whilst awaiting their supercedure queen's emergence. Less work to be done in the hive, so why not scrub the front step whilst there is time on hand. Sorry Bill!

Hi all,
I noticed one of my colonies doing this whilst awaiting their supercedure queen's emergence. Less work to be done in the hive, so why not scrub the front step whilst there is time on hand. Sorry Bill!

Good idea!

Back