warning on timber sizes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 ish
Hi Every one

thought i would give you guys the heads up on an issue i came across today.

Looking to make some new supers and viewed the Dave Cushmans web site to get all the sizes correct.

Boards need to be 150mm by 18mm

My local timber place had advertised on web site 150mm by 19mm planned timber board.

So phoned them up placed my order and they cut to size so that i could get it in car.

Turned up all happy untill chap say's of course they are not 150mm by 19mm any more.....

WHAT??

oh no that was the size before they were planed they are now more like 146mm by 12........ and has i have had them cut to fit into the car i am lumberd with £30 of timber which if i make up wont have bee space.

not a happy bunny :mad:

That's normal practice.
2 x 1" PAR finishes at about 45 x 19mm.
Places like b&q usually put the actual finished size on their boards.

You should state if you want planned and a finish size, or they will just take your 2x1 and plan it, make it smaller than you wanted....

Hi

Just to be clear they didn’t plane it for me (they cut it by length to get it in my car only) it was already planed and stated on the label on shelf of massive three meter lengths of the stuff 150mm by 19mm which it wasn’t.

So if you walked in to the shop you would see planed board stating 150mm by 19mm which its not.

Just a message to others who aren’t chippys by trade.

Hi

Just to be clear they didn’t plane it for me (they cut it by length to get it in my car only) it was already planed and stated on the label on shelf of massive three meter lengths of the stuff 150mm by 19mm which it wasn’t.

So if you walked in to the shop you would see planed board stating 150mm by 19mm which its not.

Just a message to others who aren’t chippys by trade.

If it was not labelled correctly complain and ask for you money back.

trade description act, web site stated 19x150mm boards that's what you should get, tell them not fit for purpose and not as described and get your money back

I thought all planed boards were sold on size pre-planed ?
Maybe not at b+q Wickes ect but always at a timber merchants.

i never knew that. glad i found out before i ordered some wood mid august.

Depends on the merchant... if they are used to dealing with non trades people coming in for small amounts of wood at finished size then those are the sizes they will refer to. I tend to know where the timber i want is stacked and head straight to it and buy 4.5-4.6m boards and cut to length at home. I also keep a tape measure in my pocket when going for timber to make sure I pick up what i need... sometimes you can get a good price on timber that can be cut to suit several different jobs or pick up a free broken board that can be put to use.

i have seen supers made out of 146x12 boards by using 5mm x12mm fillets of pine wood as bearing surfaces...so you could still try to use the wood

i have seen supers made out of 146x12 boards by using 5mm x12mm fillets of pine wood as bearing surfaces...so you could still try to use the wood

have to do that on all my boxes. always thought 1x2 was when wet after drying it would shrink

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion on fillets.

I have spent the evening in shed with bits of paper trying to work it out and thats the conclusion I have come to.

I was going to have to take some of the 150mm (now 144mm I’ve checked) down to 126mm for the face boards so that gives me some bits I could use. I don’t have a table saw so I am hoping that my hand sawing is up to the job.

As for the timber merchants they are normally very good and I much prefer to use them than B+Q types (they are also cheaper) and I understand that this is their normal practice. Just thought I would let others know to check and check again.

If I am honest I think I will go back to using sheet materials again after this they may be heavy but you do get EXACTLY what you need.

I was going to have to take some of the 150mm (now 144mm I’ve checked) down to 126mm for the face boards so that gives me some bits I could use. I don’t have a table saw so I am hoping that my hand sawing is up to the job.

As for the timber merchants they are normally very good and I much prefer to use them than B+Q types (they are also cheaper) and I understand that this is their normal practice.
Table saws are brilliant if you have the workshop space to use them. If you have a lot of timber to trim, you can do a reasonably job with a portable circular saw using the adjustable guide to rip at a uniform width. I have one from the cheap end of the range that does a passable job in softwood and ply and it's a lot faster than hand sawing. Not what you would be using 8 hours a day but fine for occasional weekends and around 40 quid.

Any timber sales will be in price lists and anything written as 'nominal size'. It can vary quite a bit as to what you actually get if it's a different species, different sawmill. Anther one to look out for is timber (and ironmongery) in the big DIY type sheds in the wrong partition or bin.

I am probably being really thick and I suspect I can get ready for replies to that effect but....

If it is common practice for timber merchants to advertise 150mm deep timber and then plane it and sell it at a true depth of 146 mm then how do people build supers? Surely a super need timber 150mm deep?

Been through all this hassle last year - just because it says 150mm on the tin doesn't mean it is! Very frustrating indeed. Built some from scrap timber built from skips but if your table saw is off plumb at all more problems :nono:

My advice, for what it's worth, is build floors, crown boards, roofs, nucs, mating hives, etc, but buy brood boxes and supers in the sales. Make supers from ext ply but treat well and paint 3 coats if you really want to. I've jointed boards from pallets to make supers and brood boxes ok but last 5 were bought for £12 EA in sale, so won't be making much more, except as said above. I have made frames too, but buy them in sales for 50p each. Work smart is now my motto.

Latest posts

Back