Warm way or Cold way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiveabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondering what the general opinion is on which way is best to have your frames, warm way or cold way? I have always been the cold way without any problems.

Hear hear . Thought this old chestnut was well and truly buried!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.
Doesn't seem to matter. Seen no evidence that one is better than the other.
OMF kinda negates the issue?
Cazza

I have them both ways, but use warm way mostly, as i need to work the hives from behind.

It principally depends on where you want to (or can) stand to work the hive.

DSCF0009-1.jpg

Wild nest ,note the pattern including the cul de sacs .
Says it all!
VM

For some reason I have always preferred the look of the hive’s (national) when the frames are cold way, stupid I know. But its taken me eight years to realize that in the in the summer and the hives full of bees I get far more bees at the front of the hive coming up and covering the lugs of the frames and getting in the way and no way as many at the back of the frame so this year I will be turning my hives warm way to see if it evens out.

Mine are the cold way simply because my other half provides the muscle , we stand on opposite sides, lifting supers to the rear . Yes the rear. Don't want drones nor returning Queens ending up in the supers ;-)
VM

For some reason I have always preferred the look of the hive’s (national) when the frames are cold way, stupid I know. But its taken me eight years to realize that in the in the summer and the hives full of bees I get far more bees at the front of the hive coming up and covering the lugs of the frames and getting in the way and no way as many at the back of the frame so this year I will be turning my hives warm way to see if it evens out.

Yeah I know what your saying, and was thinking of trying a new colony the warm way this coming season.

Victor
"Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

??

Tomayto; Tomarto.
Cold or warm; it doesn't matter to the bees it seems.

I stand at one side and then sometimes move to the other if my back gets fed up, so cold for me. And nucs are usually made cold.

Tomayto; Tomarto.
Cold or warm; it doesn't matter to the bees it seems.

I stand at one side and then sometimes move to the other if my back gets fed up, so cold for me. And nucs are usually made cold.

:iagree:

I like having two choices cos sometimes, just sometimes, the glare of the sun makes it difficult to see what I'm doing, so I go the other side. And with my fading eyesight, the sun over my shoulder makes it easier to see what's occurring in those little holes. It's nice to have the sun on your back, too. For me it warms the old bones....::nature-smiley-016:

Just wondering what the general opinion is on which way is best to have your frames, warm way or cold way?

In my opinion the best opinions will be had from beekeepers whose hives have handholds on all four sides, otherwise the opinion about which is better will rely rather heavily on what the beekeeper's arm and shoulder strength is/was, and/or where he stood when inspecting the hive.

Otherwise you're going to get answers like "I prefer cold way because I prefer to stand behind the hive", which is quite a meaningless thing to say, unless you happen to know that the beekeeper uses hives with the post-war BN design.

The choice between warm way and cold way is therefore often dictated by the design of the beekeeper's hive and not by a deliberate decision.

What a ridiculous hypotheses !
I work modified national deeps ! The hand holds have absolutely no bearing on my decision to operate my frames the cold way!
I operate the cold way for the convenience of having my assistant juxtapose to me when manipulating a colony . The number/ position of the hand holds is totally irrelevant !
VM.

Just wondering what the general opinion is on which way is best to have your frames, warm way or cold way?

While researching the history of an old Dutch hive design, the Fruit Grower's Hive, so that I could design my own version of it, I came upon half-century old comments about warm way versus cold way. The pre-war hive was a tall hive, using cold way, and the post-war hive that replaced it was a short, stackable hive, using warm way. The comment was that the decision to use warm way or cold way depends also on whether the frames are tall and narrow or wide and short.

Back