Want can I do with overheated honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Something was wrong with the honey warmer and I've 30lbs of honey that has been heated to 60degC for 24-36 hours.

What can I do with it? If nothing, how can I dispose of it?

. . . . . Ben

Use it to make loads of honey cake and honey biscuits and freeze them by

Something was wrong with the honey warmer and I've 30lbs of honey that has been heated to 60degC for 24-36 hours.

What can I do with it? If nothing, how can I dispose of it?

. . . . . Ben

Sell it as honey.
Your HMF levels will be higher but are unlikely to be above legal limits.
Off the top of my head it's about 3-4 days at 60C to raise HMF levels above the 40mg/litre legal limit. or 24 hours at 70C.

Your HMF levels will be higher but are unlikely to be above legal limits.
Off the top of my head it's about 3-4 days at 60C to raise HMF levels above the 40mg/litre legal limit. or 24 hours at 70C.

Thanks for that
I was asking just that a few days ago when somebody mentioned that trading standards were interested in how their honey was warmed

Had to go find the table, note it is variable but this is the time course for honey held at different temps to accumulate 30mg/kg of HMF. NOTE legal limit in UK is currently 40mg/kg.

30C.............100-300 days.
40C..............20-50 days.
50C...............4-10 days.
60C................1-2.5 days,
70C.................3-5 hours.
80C.................<2 hours

Had to go find the table, note it is variable but this is the time course for honey held at different temps to accumulate 30mg/kg of HMF. NOTE legal limit in UK is currently 40mg/kg.

30C.............100-300 days.
40C..............20-50 days.
50C...............4-10 days.
60C................1-2.5 days,
70C.................3-5 hours.
80C.................<2 hours

Excellent. But worrying.

Gave bucket to someone else to put in their warming cabinet and by the time I got it home the temperature was 60degC (according to my cooking thermometer). So it could have been 70degC at some time over the last day.

I'm guessing that getting this tested is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Thanks . . .. . Ben

Looking into honey marmalade recipes.

You can still use or sell it as cooking honey .... look up the honey labelling regs ... might not sell for as much but not a total loss...

Commonly called bakers honey...

Last edited:
It's bl@@dy annoying when this is the first year I've had any reasonable amount of honey to sell and i think this was bramble and lime honey. Won't win any prizes now.

. . . . Ben

Latest posts

Back