walking bees with wings!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walking bees is very strange. I have noticed quite a number walking about without any noticeable deformities on a patio area some 10 yards or so away from my hives. However, I noticed the precisely the same thing last year (I've only lived here for 2 years) about this time and raised the issue with the most expert beeks in my association who were unable to offer an explanation - so I ignored it and treated the hives as normal right through to oxalic acid at Xmas, feeding as necessary, and have had a truly exceptional year for honey. For what it is worth, I reckon it is merely a symptom of the annual decline of the colony as the winter season approaches and I for one am not going to be concerned about it based on the experience from last year - and before. Take your pick - worry and go bald or bee stoic and hope.

Just got the results back from our local bee inspector, medium evidence of Nosema, girls are already on vita gold now and havent seen bees walking recently. Wasps are a bit of an issue, but guard down to bee width almost and lots of sentry duty done by girls.

Fingers Crossed!

I thought nosema was someting that manifested over winter, when the girls couldn't get out and hygeine drops. Don't tell me there's something else I should be worrying about!

I thought nosema was someting that manifested over winter

In the medical world there are signs and symptoms. Many simply heap them together as 'symptoms'. There is a subtle difference.

Now, as above, quite, but not completely, correct. Early spring/late winter is the usual time that the disease becomes obvious to the observer. The pathogens which are responsible for the disease are often present (possibly nearly always) but not at levels which will flag up danger signs and are easily overcome/ignored by the colony. It is not a case of simple hygiene (sp) either. It is caused by the disease.

You have enough time to read up all about nosema. But don't take too long before studying it, as your bees could be in the same position as Mel's.

RAB

You have enough time to read up all about nosema. But don't take too long before studying it, as your bees could be in the same position as Mel's.
RAB

Thanks RAB. I've read quite a bit, but it's trying to interpret it without experience. I am intending to use Hivemakers patent mix in winter feed, as it seems to have numerous benefits and (if used properly) no drawbacks: however, although opinion is (as with everything) divided, I was following the line of not medicating un-neccessarily and therefore not intending to use fumidil as I've seen no text-book signs (yes, dodgy distinction I know).

Should I a) use fumidil as a precaution, or b) send some bees to beebase for testing? I have seen perhaps 3 or 4 'walking bees' this summer, all away from the hive, all with good wings, had assumed paralysis virus.

Thanks

Tim

I would NEVER use Fumidil " as a precaution" and would only use it a a last resort when severe nosema has been confirmed.

Certainly send a sample for testing, then you know what you are dealing with. You will probably find that Hivemakers emulsified thymol mix added to the feed will do the trick without having to resort to anti-biotics.

I posted on this thread a while back and the number of walking bees in the hive that i mentioned is increasing massively now to where i had probably over 100 on the floor today.

They all appear fine but i did capture some of them in a bucket just incase i needed to look over them again.

Their seems to be allot of activity at the entrance with bees chewing each other but i am convinced it isn't robbers trying to get in.

i was doing some reading and found out about something called "Chronic bee paralysis virus" which seems to show the symptoms described, i have treated for varroa with hive clean and have little to no varroa drop.

i did also uncap some drone brood and found no mites from the little i did.

does anyone have any suggestions ?

Many thanks,

Paul.

I posted on this thread a while back and the number of walking bees in the hive that i mentioned is increasing massively now to where i had probably over 100 on the floor today.

They all appear fine but i did capture some of them in a bucket just incase i needed to look over them again.

Their seems to be allot of activity at the entrance with bees chewing each other but i am convinced it isn't robbers trying to get in.

i was doing some reading and found out about something called "Chronic bee paralysis virus" which seems to show the symptoms described, i have treated for varroa with hive clean and have little to no varroa drop.

i did also uncap some drone brood and found no mites from the little i did.

does anyone have any suggestions ?

Many thanks,

Paul.

No real cures for viruses....but you could try some of the sugestions made earlier in this thread.

I had a bee this morning with oodles of primrose coloured pollen on her legs. She landed short of the hive and sought to climb into the entrance, but fell back down. So she tried again and fell down again. Finally she gave up and flew into the entrance.

Could this be a recovery from a paralysis virus, or just a tired bee trying to walk in with a heavy load because she was a little tired after her early morning foraging?

Should I be worried at all . . . some of the other bees were flying. :)

I had a bee this morning with oodles of primrose coloured pollen on her legs. She landed short of the hive and sought to climb into the entrance, but fell back down. So she tried again and fell down again. Finally she gave up and flew into the entrance.

Could this be a recovery from a paralysis virus, or just a tired bee trying to walk in with a heavy load because she was a little tired after her early morning foraging?

Should I be worried at all . . . some of the other bees were flying. :)

Should I just have a beer instead?

So I finally found the answer to my problem. My bees have acarine mite and pretty bad to as most samples had the mite.

It was however extremely interesting to see the dissection and the mites.

I am now treating with apiguard which should help. Just pray for some good wether.

Sorry to hear you have them buggers.
Formic acid is the fastest way to clear up acarine.

Tracheal mites and walking bees

In the USA walking bees are usually a sign of tracheal mites. We use mite-a-thol as a treatment. There is usually some signs of K-wing as well with this condition. As far as nosema, there is a new strain attacking the American colonies and recent studies show that treating for varroa and feeding syrup with Fumagilin-B has made a big difference in the health of our colonies coming out of winter.

"The beekeeper that says "I know all there is about bees", knows very little about bees" The Bee Bumbler

How would you administer it ? and how effective is it ?

There are a wide variety of ways. Here is one: dribble 30ml of 60% formic on something like a J cloth laid on the tops of the brood frames. Some people put a plastic sheet under the cloth but I have never bothered. Alternatively, cut a bit of thick cardboard and place it over the frames so there is no gap down the sides. Dribble the acid onto this. For varroa I would repeat after 5 days and then a third time after another 5 days but one treatment might be enough for the acarine mites. Problem is at this time of year is the only bees alive are the winter bees which are going to, or should, live for 6 months or so. The acarine may have already done its damage.

One of the benefits of treating for Verroa using an oil based solution with Thymol is the treatment of Acarine at the same time..

I fear it has well and truly done it's damage to at least two of my colonies if not affected a third some what.

It's a case of keeping my fingers crossed now.

I am going to give them all a good chunk of fondant later this week and let them get on with it now.

Latest posts

Back