Walking a small swarm into a hive (for those that havent seen it)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
The mini swarm i collected last weekend was filmed as usual as they were walked into the hive. I find this a more natural way of getting them "in" and havent yet had a swarm abscond on me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2-fMhNdM5I[/ame]

I never get tired of the way in which after a moment of disorientation when they are initially dumped they all appear to come to the same decision to march in the same direction. As you say not the biggest swarm, but nice video!

That swarm occupye only two frames. It means difficulties in building up.
You should join more swarms to that or take 2 frames of emerging bees from another hives.

Never get bored of watching swarms walk in - fabulous. THanks for putting it on here.

Yes, it got me looking at other swarm videos afterwards, instead of doing work :)

I notice in several of the American swarm videos on You Tube that they cage the queen when transferring the swarm to a brood box. I'm assuming they leave her in the cage within the brood box for a while to ensure the swarm doesn't take off again?

What a fascinating sight, thanks!

PS nice nuc box, did you make it?

I did, actually it was just parts of other prototype hives that i messed about with last year, but it does the job!

I can spend ages watching the bees run into the hive. Time just seems to fly.
It always fascinates me how the ones on the bottom of the layers of bees orientate themselves in the direction of the hive and wait while the rest of the swarm climbs over them.
Cazza

Yes, it got me looking at other swarm videos afterwards, instead of doing work :)

I notice in several of the American swarm videos on You Tube that they cage the queen when transferring the swarm to a brood box. I'm assuming they leave her in the cage within the brood box for a while to ensure the swarm doesn't take off again?
Are you sure that they are hiving a swarm and not just installing a package of bees?

A lovely sight, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a busy 303 there as well.

Latest posts

Back