Absconding swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I collected a swarm that I witnessed issue last Wednesday and hi ed it in a buc adjacent to the original colony. Have it some drawn comb, and fed it.
Today around 11.20 I watched it issue from the hive again, swirl around (I was watching where it might pitch) and return to the nuc. I then spotted a small cluster of bees on the grass about 3m from the hive and sure enough the Q was amongst them. I put her in a queen catcher, then added a super to the nuc (BS Nuc hive and maisemore super), with frames she had started laying in in the top box, and largely foundation in the bottom. Let the queen run down into the top box and put the lid back. I then put the entrance to "excluder" mode.
Any reason you can think for absconding? Anything I should have done differently?

One reason is sometimes, that if you feed the swarm at once, and the bees are already full of swarm food, they may be unsatisfied with situation. That has bee warned and that has happened to me too.

If the swarm hive in a hot unny spot, bees think that tihis not a good place to stay.

Some colonies are eager to continue their trip and they do not want to stay in their place.

If the queen was in ground, the swarn has returned to thei origibal home. They fo not accept the queen, whoch cannot fly with the swarm.

So they will swarm soon again

It was prime (marked queen), too small was my thought too.
Not sure if there's a sure fire way to switch them from "swarm looking for a home" mode to "swarm that's found a home" mode!!
I catch lots of swarms and have never had one leave the box ...but I always have put some open brood with them. Sure fire?, obviously not but has always worked for me.

I catch lots of swarms and have never had one leave the box ...but I always have put some open brood with them. Sure fire?, obviously not but has always worked for me.

I also catch lots of swarms and have never had one leave the box ... but I have never put open brood with them ...

But I generally never ask a swarm to stay in a single 6-frame nuc. They almost all go into a double-storey nuc. Maybe that helps.

I would also never feed a swarm, with the odd rare exception such as one which had been stuck up a tree in rainy weather for 5 days - I gave them a frame with honey in.

Who knows

I also catch lots of swarms and have never had one leave the box ... but I have never put open brood with them ...

But I generally never ask a swarm to stay in a single 6-frame nuc. They almost all go into a double-storey nuc. Maybe that helps.

I would also never feed a swarm, with the odd rare exception such as one which had been stuck up a tree in rainy weather for 5 days - I gave them a frame with honey in.

Who knows
I've asked them to stay in a little "ideal" 8 frame box and they stay.....but always with some open brood ;)

I have had a swarm abscond from a national brood box previously, I fed them this time hoping stores would encourage them to stay! I haven't fed swarms in the past.
An interesting observation before they tried to abscond was that although they were flying there was NO pollen being brought in. Maybe a warning sign for absconding.
Encouraging - they now ARE bringing in lots of pollen (y)

Last edited:
I have considered doing that as supposed to be a very reliable way of stopping them leaving. However a natural brood break may be healthy.

I collected a swarm that I witnessed issue last Wednesday and hi ed it in a buc adjacent to the original colony. Have it some drawn comb, and fed it.
Today around 11.20 I watched it issue from the hive again, swirl around (I was watching where it might pitch) and return to the nuc. I then spotted a small cluster of bees on the grass about 3m from the hive and sure enough the Q was amongst them. I put her in a queen catcher, then added a super to the nuc (BS Nuc hive and maisemore super), with frames she had started laying in in the top box, and largely foundation in the bottom. Let the queen run down into the top box and put the lid back. I then put the entrance to "excluder" mode.
Any reason you can think for absconding? Anything I should have done differently?
Anyone who has not lost a swarm sorry must be very very lucky! Basic rules i have been taught by most beekeepers is first box size needs to reflect swarm size. when i collect it if their are bees on 5 seems in the 5 frame Nuc then it goes into a full size brood box, bees on say only 4 means they still have room. Secondly a queen excluder goes on for first three days.

After that choice is yours weather to feed or not. What i can tell you is picked up a nice prime swarm mid April this year, i have fed heavily when i get back off holiday by end of May I expect 16 frames full on a double national with brood over at least 8, it will then be supered and if we get a honey flow in the summer i will get a super or more of honey. Cost of sugar2 kg per bags £1.25 x 6 = circa £8. Super of Honey at £8 lb x 25lb = £200, profit £190+. Simple maths.

Picked up two good size swarms last september one early one mid, fed heavily, merged early October after disease check, current colony has brood over 11 frames and will produce a good size honey crop this year, say two supers, hopefully more. So total cost of feed, candipollline gold one pack, fondant say circa £20, two supers of honey = £400 profit £180.

Latest posts

Back