Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Probably more disruptive to the colony than simply going through thoroughly and finding the queen though.
I would just find the queen, same as you, but some have difficulty finding queens.
Also i would never bother doing a split and letting them raise their own queen anyway.

Hawklord 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
So in the bottom box will definantly be the queen, in the top box will be half the brood covered with nurse bees? Won't the brood in the top box be non viable to produce queens because they've been shaken?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Shake bees from half the brood and pop them in another box over a q x before splitting, or check for laying in four days after splitting.?
Aha. I was thinking of having split them what signs to look for indicating q+ box.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I would just find the queen, same as you, but some have difficulty finding queens.
Also i would never bother doing a split and letting them raise their own queen anyway.
Yes. Best put your own nice mated queen in 😃

beeno 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi all,
In addition to the comments above, if you end up with a nuc sized walkaway split making their own queen cells that is not good beekeeping practice in my book. By default, I had a large colony re-queening themselves by making emergency queen cells. These emergency queen cells were normal size whilst emergency cell by a small colonies have always been small. Size of original colony and timing as pointed out above is imperative.

rampino 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
beehaus
Number of Hives
Well, after doing Pagden last year, I did two nucleus method (walkaway) splits this year and one of the original hives has already made a super of honey. So the method does work. The second hive murdered my new buckfast Queen, preferring to make their own emergency queen cells.

Latest posts