walkaway splits are they good for swarm prevention/

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably more disruptive to the colony than simply going through thoroughly and finding the queen though.

I would just find the queen, same as you, but some have difficulty finding queens.
Also i would never bother doing a split and letting them raise their own queen anyway.

Shake bees from half the brood and pop them in another box over a q x before splitting, or check for laying in four days after splitting.?

Aha. I was thinking of having split them what signs to look for indicating q+ box.

Hi all,
In addition to the comments above, if you end up with a nuc sized walkaway split making their own queen cells that is not good beekeeping practice in my book. By default, I had a large colony re-queening themselves by making emergency queen cells. These emergency queen cells were normal size whilst emergency cell by a small colonies have always been small. Size of original colony and timing as pointed out above is imperative.

Well, after doing Pagden last year, I did two nucleus method (walkaway) splits this year and one of the original hives has already made a super of honey. So the method does work. The second hive murdered my new buckfast Queen, preferring to make their own emergency queen cells.

Latest posts

Back