Walk away split?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westawake90

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all, just a quick question.

Moved a queen from my hive to a nuc last weekend as found a couple of cells with royal jelly and larva in the main hive. Do I need to go back after 7/8 days to bring the emergency cells to 1 or can I leave the queenless hive work away?

Thanks.

You should have left one open queen cell when you removed the queen and marked the top bar so that you know where it is. 7 days later you go back to both colonies to remove any more queen cells apart from your marked one.
What you did, by the way, was an artificial swarm not a walkway split.

it won't work for much longer if you leave it queenless, and if you leave all the queencells there's a good chance you will lose a prime swarm headed by the first virgin out. you should have selected the best open cell last weekend and taken the rest down, and now you need to go in and take all the EQCs down leaving your single chosen cell to develop and emerge.

Did you leave one or more of the queen cells?
I'd have left one and gone back in a week to take out all the emergency cells they will probably make (earlier if sealed QC left).

I took all of the cells down, bees were very very agitated and I panicked a small bit with the cloud of them around me. Will go back in tomorrow and leave only one queen cell and will leave them at it after that.

Latest posts

Back