virgins everywhere help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber rob

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone and thanks in advance
inspected my national today(first half decent day for nearly 2 wks)
Bad weather and very high winds have prevented proper inspections anyway here goes,
Opened up and saw some capped brood some but few larvae and no eggs
and id say about 15 ish queen cells some sealed some capped some open with flaps and some sealed but empy could not find queen but caught 6 virgins on the frames i put these into small boxes untill i can get help with what to do with them.
i removed all but 2 queen cells as i could not be sure that they both had queens in them, also have to say there was still lots of bees

still learning so be gentle:eek:

The bees were probably keeping the virgins in their cells until you inspected they then got out. I had 6 hatch when I went through 1 colony last year. I left them in the hive they sorted it out between themselves.

Hello everyone and thanks in advance
inspected my national today(first half decent day for nearly 2 wks)
Bad weather and very high winds have prevented proper inspections anyway here goes,
Opened up and saw some capped brood some but few larvae and no eggs
and id say about 15 ish queen cells some sealed some capped some open with flaps and some sealed but empy could not find queen but caught 6 virgins on the frames i put these into small boxes untill i can get help with what to do with them.
i removed all but 2 queen cells as i could not be sure that they both had queens in them, also have to say there was still lots of bees

still learning so be gentle:eek:

bit of a mess! I am no expert, and im sure one will come along and give you some adivice soon!. But i would have took down the QC and took 5 of the virgins out of there and left one virgin to get on with it.

You would have to load the boxes with bees as they do with mini nucs for breeding queens.

have a friend that was q_ he has put 1 into a queen cage with some bees a drone tried to get in too and he stopped it lol cheeky said he will hang it inside his hive i told him good luck with it

Back