Virgin Queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I would guess this is a virgin queen but have never seen one before.
Was just about to put a test frame in and my wife spotted her. She‘s not as fat as our other queens and has more of a pointy bum. She was running around a lot as well. Inspected the hive just now that was the result of a merger on 13 July. Saw medium sized larvae today but no eggs, small larvae or the queen. Just under a week ago when we inspected there was one ‘hatched’ QC. Looks to me like the queenless part of the merger did the old queen in and decided to make another.

Attachments

• 1E678ACA-E1CC-4F68-AE9D-B183F8F9FC3F.jpeg
    1E678ACA-E1CC-4F68-AE9D-B183F8F9FC3F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 94E220DC-FA8B-41BB-BB3B-59BAD7694DE3.jpeg
    94E220DC-FA8B-41BB-BB3B-59BAD7694DE3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54
It's just amazing how she's transformed after mating. First Princess to Queen that we have ever seen. She's the daughter of a BS Honeybees Buckfast we got last year.

Looking at all the capped cells, it doesn’t seem like a virgin? If they are as flighty as that, I might well want to replace her. I like queens that are quiet on the frames.

Looking at all the capped cells, it doesn’t seem like a virgin? If they are as flighty as that, I might well want to replace her. I like queens that are quiet on the frames.
We assumed she was a virgin in the first video and then mated in the second video a couple of weeks later. She seemed quite ‘runny’ on the second video so will see how she progresses.

Latest posts

Back