Virgin queen just hatched

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I had a hive that I needed to get into today as I know they would have a queen hatching any day and that their would be more then the one cell as I have been unable to get to them.

As I was going through I saw one virgin queen and just the one other sealed queen cell. So I removed the sealed cell and closed up the hive. As I looked at the cell the queen was quickly chewing her way out so I quickly grabbed a few attendants from the hive and place them all into a jar.

It was the only thing I had available to me at the time. My question now is I don't have enough bees to make up a full nuc could I place her into a small mating hive? Will she and her attendants wait a day or two until I have it ready assuming i give them something to eat?

Thanks.

Hi tidy, I did something similar last week. Removed 2 spare queen cells from 2 different hives that I could hear piping, stuck them in jars in the airing cupboard and an hour later both had emerged. Put one of them the next day in a small nuc with a few frames and shook in some bees from a couple of hives. Dont know how they are progressing as haven't been back to check on them yet but the queens both seemed fine overnight in a jar. Gave them both a small bit of brace come with a little honey in which seemed to keep them busy.

Let us know how you get on.

If you did not have the equipment to house the extra queen, it begs the question: Why take her out of the hive in the first place? Two virgin queens running loose in the same hive would have fought it out.

She will be hungry so needs feeding.
You don't need attendants as virgin queens feed themselves.

Its not easy to introduce a virgin as she does not have a strong amount of pheremones.

Some say lots of smoke or dip her in honey and let the bees clean her off so transfering her smell.

When I introduce virgins I try to hive them within an hour of hatching.

I dont have the equipment to make another nuc. But I am raising some queens at the moment and I believe one has failed to make it back so was hoping to check then introduce her.

I removed her as I wanted to stop any possibility of a caste leaving an already depleted colony.

Latest posts

Back