Vineyards as sites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a vine in my garden that produces pounds of grapes every year, but never seen a bee on it - or much else in the way of pollinators actually, so assume they're self pollinated I'm afraid.

I think vines are mostly self pollinated, so limited benefit for bees. What is allowed or sown between the vines (dandelion, clover?) would be more important.

As an aside, there are some eye wateringly expensive French wines from vineyards designated Les Ruchottes in burgundy.

The strips between vines in the vineyards around Petworth in Sussex seem bright yellow in summer. I assume it's dandelion.

This question is interesting to me as it was the idea that first took me to beekeeping. I have been to the south of France and saw all the vines and thought what a good idea. As usual my ideas are based on hope rather than knowledge. :(

This question is interesting to me as it was the idea that first took me to beekeeping. I have been to the south of France and saw all the vines and thought what a good idea. As usual my ideas are based on hope rather than knowledge. :(

There aren't that many vineyards in Whitley Bay Mike ;-)

There aren't that many vineyards in Whitley Bay Mike ;-)
Very true. I have drunk many Vinyard's worth of wine in my time here though. I did think of eventually relocating to France and put my feet up while the girls did all the work. Then reality struck and I found out that it wasn't that easy. :rolleyes:

local vineyard sprays on a regular basis through the season. It has had hives slightly away from the vines for a number of seasons but from casual observation the number has decreased and they never seam to have many supers on during the summer.

would it be a magnet for wasps later in the season? Wasps seem to be attracred to ripe grapes in markets/greengrocers.

Grapevines are self pollinating, so don’t produce anything of value to bees. When I was managing vineyards in southern England in the eighties/early nineties I sprayed fungicides every 10-14 days, from May onwards. I never needed to spray insecticide, not once.

The vineyard was full of wasps from September on.

There were a few wild flowers about, but nothing special that you wouldn’t find on a mixed farm.

I can’t imagine any benefit to putting hives in vineyards.

CC if its a good site dont be put off by the fact they do not get anything off the vines but start looking over the fence at the next door farm or village

local vineyard sprays on a regular basis through the season. It has had hives slightly away from the vines for a number of seasons but from casual observation the number has decreased and they never seam to have many supers on during the summer.
Ok. that has put paid to my dream of living in the south of France, surrounded by vinyards and selling off the honey to tourists. :(
But what about Apple orchards in Normandy? I might have to rethink my long term prospects. :)

mike99;666555t Apple orchards in Normandy? I might have to rethink my long term prospects. :)[/QUOTE said:
Try the lavender fields in Provence...

Latest posts

Back