Very quiet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
So it is the middle of May and I have not had one phone call about bees from the public. Usually by now I would have at least a dozen bumble calls and probably a couple of swarm ones too but no.............total silence.

Anyone else finding it is very quite this season?

PH

Same in my bit of Hampshire
The only thing I've heard of locally is a plan to do a cut out in a stable bees reported to have taken up residence last year

Similar here, no swarms, no contact from the public and growth is very late and slow.

Couple of years ago I had three casts that I collected in May, but most of my swarm calls come in July.

Usually by now I would have at least a dozen bumble calls and probably a couple of swarm ones too but no.............total silence.

Anyone else finding it is very quite this season?

:iagree: Very quiet!

Only one swarm call so far (plus the obligatory "bees flying in and out of the airbrick" call).

Pretty much every single one of my hives has attempted to swarm already... maybe more people have got a handle on things this year?

been to wales on holiday, seen some bees at empty hive before I went, now have a hive of bees for free yippee

usually a bit early for swarm calls here but I know there have been some, the feral beekeeper at the association apiary has either collected (at least) one swarm or one has moved in to one of his empty hives.

Swarm cells in one of my colonies last week but none of my other hives yet. Drones have just started flying here. Bait hives in place, trying that swarm lure for the first time.

:iagree: Very quiet!

Only one swarm call so far (plus the obligatory "bees flying in and out of the airbrick" call).

About 6. Three of which were bumbles in the roofline.

Two were about the same swarm. It moved from call 1 to call 2 just round the corner. Didn't get that as it was way too high and the ladder they had was insanely short. It had been on a bird table to start with which would have been an easy catch.

Another was honey bees. Collected that.

The swarm that arrived in our apiary didn't get collected as it moved off as I was getting suited. It housed itself neatly in a polynuc box.

First year on swarm list so no idea if this is quiet or not.

Had my first call last night. A small cast, but only two ft off the ground . Easiest one yet. Have AS' d three of my hives already.

Nothing so far. But as the season is delayed about 2 weeks - judging by the flowering of our crab apple tree - I am not surprised..

Lady I met told me "bees have taken over my bird box" - so tree bumbles are starting again..

4 calls

Call 1 - One of my own hives swarming at home! LOL
Call 2 + 3 Bumblebees in bird nesting boxes
Call 4 - Assuming masonry bees or mining bees in some stone steps leading from a house to the back garden.

ie no real swarm calls, I assume they will start soon as I knew my hive that swarmed was stronger in buildup to all the others I have.

Swarms

Picked up one last week.
Large swarm took up residence in the bait hive in the garden.

Attachments

• bait hive.jpg
    bait hive.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 55
Of my three hives, one swarmed ten days ago, the other two got AS yesterday, both had multiple queen cells. I think swarm season has started in Kent.

2 Calls so far .. one 2 weeks ago that I couldn't handle as I was at work.. but they absconded before another Association Beekeeper could get there.

The one yesterday .. nice swarm .. after I'd hived it in my own out apiary .. the lady whose hive it had emanated from turned up and was surprised they'd swarmed as "they'd been alright just over a week ago when I inspected them"....

Also had to AS 2 of my own hives yesterday.. 3 others are showing signs that they may be thinking about swarming .. and the remainder as just struggling.

I'd agree that the season is 2-3 weeks late this year.

No calls yet, but I think I am low down on the swarm collector list, and I usually get the awkward ones!
All my hives have been artificially swarmed, but I do have a field of rape seed nearby so lots of resources.

first calls just starting in North london, first one was saturday near Golders Green but i know a local allotment has had four swarms/castes this weekend from a beginner beekeeper's allotment apiary (unfortunate that it is behind my house. aaahhh)

She started with two hives in spring last year and went into winter with SIX colonies with five surviving overwinter, at this rate she will fill the allotment with beehives

Last edited:
1st swarm box set up on Thursday evening... these arrived on Saturday! :)

They camped out overnight, but moved indoors on Sunday morning

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160514_1926472.jpg
    20160514_1926472.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 157

Latest posts

Back