very nasty trouble

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
got beehive full of very evil bees. problem is they are flying through the farmyard and attack people.. my boss included. as i open up they simply cover me and sting like mad. was thinking about petrol treatment but..
what i did. killed the queen, discarded all the brood, after 24h gave them nice queen cell from good tempered colony.
plan is to move them away from the site . i can can keep them on this new site till 4th june, then out of options. will they cool down by that time? If not probably will get the first treatment as i cant afford to have nastys.

Any other suggestions?

cheers,
Lauri

Things like location - too dark, vibration stuff like that can affect temprament. Space for storage - plenty of supers. There is a lot of rape around, which might not be helping...
Just thoughts.

I have the same problem in all three of my hives. Last two weeks I have been unable to complete inspections as they are just too evil!

Three weeks ago they didn't pay any attention to me on inspection.

I'm hoping it's just the OSR madness as I can't see me putting up with their behaviour indefinitely :banghead:

Hi there.

I would wait and see.
If it was due to OSR it should be over soon. If it was due to genetics you will need to give the colony a little more time for the old workers to die and new bees from the new queen to hatch and take over.

Greets
Phil

Sorry, but could someone please explain to me why osr may contribute to aggressive bees? Thanks

Not happening in many areas yet, I would think, but crop gone over, lots of foragers not foraging, so more flyers at home to make trouble. As well as being defensive, as this is the time they are being robbed by the beekeeper, with all those defendersat hand to start the sting pheromone 'avalanche'.

Latest posts

Back