Very little food

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm kind of worried about my colony's food stores.

The colony arrived 2 weeks ago as a 6-frame nuc (this is my one and only hive). I transferred the frames into a National brood box, and added 5 frames of foundation. I inspected a week later, and colony looked good with BIAS over 8 frames. Today I inspected again, and the colony is up to 9.5 frames (ie 1 full frame and a half/one side to go before it's full up).

What concerns me is I see lots of BIAS but very minimal stores of honey. Since arrival, I have fed the colony every single day - they schlurp up 2 litres of 1:1 syrup every 24 hours! I find this a bit concerning - (a) low stores and (b) encouraging a "feeding pattern" - ie a lack of a tendency to "store" and more of a tendency to rely on feed being there. ( I know, I know, that might sound a bit silly.)

I'm continuing to feed, but I am sitting here pondering alternatives. Clearly the brood box is nearly full up and I am going to have to, within a few days, add to it in some way.

What about adding another brood box on top - with a QX in between? That way, the bees would go up and fill brood-sized frames with comb and honey stores (if they read my mind properly). Then I could transfer store-filled frames to the bottom brood box (I am not too concerned if I don't get any honey for myself). And I may even be able to transfer a few of the original frames out of the bottom brood box, filled with BIAS, into a nuc and encourage a new Queen, and thus a second colony!

Does that all sound feasible?

If they are doing well, they must be foraging for pollen for lots of brood.

20kg of sugar is a lot for just two weeks - do they have a honey arch over each frame as that will add up to a fair amount of stores.

Some strains of bee will make brood without apparent regard for stores, and then swarm at the drop of a hat!

If the box is basically full of brood, you have little alternative but to give more laying space. It seems that your queen may support a second brood.

If the strain is 'brood and swarm', you may be better investing in a different strain of queen for a second colony.

Regards, RAB

If you've got Brood on 9 frames then you need to give the q more room to lay. That means putting another box on top either a brood box (double brood) or a shallow box (brood and a half). Don't add a Q excluder as the Q won't lay up there and you risk swarm prep unless that's what you want and you can do an AS. (they'll be a fair few on this forum who'll say creating a Q from emergency cells, as is your plan, when you deprive a hive of a Q will result in an inferior q)

I would leave off the feed for now and see how they get on as they're relying on you to feed them rather than collecting.

Another hive is robbing your hive. It is not possible that it consumes that much food. It is a tiny colony.

Sounds like they are Italian-type bees...renowned for turning every last drop of food into brood irrespective of the weather/flow. Hmm....

Heheheh. I have reared Italians 40 years.

They turn every sigle drop into brood in 2 weeks!!!!
I want those bees!!!

I think that they hide the food somewhere and they are going to escape to secret place!

Latest posts

Back