Varroa!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that selected drone culling is a good Varroa control. Early season culling can help reduce the Varroa in the hive, no? And again later in the season...

Sam

Samuel, since it has not been picked up for clarification in previous response posts. Are you on a solid floor? Your wording implies it. If so I would rec a changed to an open mesh floor (OMF) as soon as possible, then any detached but living mites can drop into oblivion.

I agree. The crucial thing is to know how many mites you have. I understand monitoring is possible with a solid floor, it's a lot simpler with OMF as well as the benefit of mites plunging to a cold and lonely death on the ground below. Once you know how many mites are dropping per day over a period, youi know where you stand, and can check that on beebase to see if you have a problem.

but............when using icing sugar, grind it up yourself rather than using the stuff from the shops which has lots of anticaking agents in it!
Louise

Latest posts

Back