Varroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so. It has been shown that, if it gets into open brood, it can cause the workers to discard them. Ok, that can happen with thymol, but at least you know that is doing some good at the same time.

New to me. Got a reference?
Noted that you said 'can' rather than 'does'. Which makes me wonder about the size of that effect. I'd like to know more.

Well aware that Oxalic was bad for open brood, hence my thinking that was better deferred than brought forward.

New to me. Got a reference?
Noted that you said 'can' rather than 'does'.

Absolutely. The fact that people do it suggests its not an immediate death sentence to the colony, But I have read that this has been observed, so my point was don't think it's harmeless and can therefore be done regardless of efficacy.

I can't give you a reference I'm afraid, but the doc may be on the right track.

presumably similar effect to flour - the powder gets into the spiracles and suffocates the larvae.

I think suffocating larvae is a myth, its far more likely that its just that larvae are delicate and vulnerable to most disturbances, oxalic trickle, chilling, thymol vapour, chalk brood spores etc.

Absolutely. The fact that people do it suggests its not an immediate death sentence to the colony, But I have read that this has been observed, so my point was don't think it's harmeless and can therefore be done regardless of efficacy.

Dear Editors
Please update The Guide entry to read "Mostly Harmless"
Yours sincerely

Ford Prefect

love the idea of icing sugar but when I tested it, it proved to be not effective of mite knock down. Anyone know anything about the salt / cinnamom mixture I think it is?

it has been tried 120 different chemical on varroa.

European varroa group selected best methods during 1998-2006 and tested them carefully. You need not invent them again.

best methods are thymol, formic acid and oxalic acid. Professionals have usedthose methods now 10 year after Apistan. It should be enough to 2 hive owners too.

what means best?

- safe to beekeper and bees
- safe to honey user
- no accumulation in combs
- natural and natural vanishing
- cheap
- handy to use

of course, if you do against advices, what ever will happen.

.to those who trust on "do nothing"
Like Muhammed said:"Trust on God but tie the camel first".

Last edited:
Finman

do you have a link to salt and cinnamom research please?

put into google. i do not mind.

done that months ago but can't find anything, hence the question. Where do I find the European Varroa group reseach on these material wrt to mites? It has to be somewhere if they tested it.

done that months ago but can't find anything, hence the question. Where do I find the European Varroa group reseach on these material wrt to mites? It has to be somewhere if they tested it.

I have linked them at least 20 times during last 5 years.

If you want best knowledge, write key words "varroa treatment nanetti" and the year

I have linked them at least 20 times during last 5 years.

If you want best knowledge, write key words "varroa treatment nanetti" and the year

Finman, I am reasonaly okay with Nanetti work, but all I remember was 'essential oils' work with respect to cinnamon, I can't recall anything with salt and cinnamon powder 'dusted' as an alternative to icing sugar as I was enquiring about. Have I forgotton something here about Nanetti's work?

Finman, I am reasonaly okay with Nanetti work, but all I remember was 'essential oils' work with respect to cinnamon, I can't recall anything with salt and cinnamon powder 'dusted' as an alternative to icing sugar as I was enquiring about. Have I forgotton something here about Nanetti's work?

Cinnamon dust is to stop ants?

. Have I forgotton something here about Nanetti's work?

He is an Italian beekeeping professor. He invented oxalic acid drippling 1997.
He has done much efficacy studies about varroa killing.

Sugar dusting was invented in Helsinki University Finland 10 years ago. No one has used it here since invention.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=sugar+dusting+varroa+helsinki&go=&qs=n&form=QBRE

Alternative to sugar dusting: Prey!

UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED BIOLOGY
PUBLICATION no. 3
Detection of major mite pests of Apis mellifera
and development of non-chemical control
of varroasis
Kamran Fakhimzadeh
Department of Applied Biology
University of Helsinki, Finland

ACADEMIC DISSERTATION
To be presented, with the permission of the Faculty of Agriculture
and Forestry of the University of Helsinki, for public criticism in
Viikki Infocenter, Viikinkaari 11, Auditorium 1
on 6th April, 2001 at 12 o’clock noon.
HELSINKI 2001

Last edited:
any ideas or opinions.

Regards

If the weather was cool during the apiguard treatment then then it would not of been very efficient, even less so if the entrance was not restricted and slide well sealed off. The treatment i use or apilife-var is much more efficient in cooler weather.

Back