Varroa Mesh Floor / Solid Floor.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is amazing that no one knows what is a good floor.

Mathsticks between bottom and box means that rainwater drills into the gap and onto froor. And idea was to keep floor dry.

Absolutely not. Amazing idea.

Thin solid? Why don't you make proper floor.

Yes, but right too. I have 4 mm some sort of plastic board, which is hard and stands flame. It transfers heat fast because moist condensates easily onto it. It means too that all kind of fine rubbis glues itself on surface, and it is not easy to clean as I hoped.
It may be an amazing idea but it is true you can make a warm mesh floor, Its also possible to make a colder floor
the avatar on the left might give you a clue as to the level of study I have done on this

It may be an amazing idea but it is true you can make a warm mesh floor, Its also possible to make a colder floor
the avatar on the left might give you a clue as to the level of study I have done on this

Stupid idea. Mesh is metall and thin. Its insulating value is round zero.

In solid floor entrance is open and cold air can move in freely. Actually it gives wind protection. But I can control opening size and heat leaking. (amazing!)

Why to make simple things so difficult. Compare to your own home, how to keep heat insde.

Stupid idea. Mesh is metall and thin. Its insulating value is round zero.

In solid floor entrance is open and cold air can move in freely. Actually it gives wind protection. But I can control opening size and heat leaking. (amazing!)

Why to make simple things so difficult. Compare to your own home, how to keep heat insde.

the air under the mesh is insulating, provided it is still

the air under the mesh is insulating, provided it is still

There is absolutely no chance that the air beneath my mesh floors is still! Howling gale most of the time. Straight off the Bristol Channel! It's a pity I don't have a wind turbine....I could light up most of the Vale! If your hives are situated in a sheltered spot...you are lucky.

There is absolutely no chance that the air beneath my mesh floors is still! Howling gale most of the time. Straight off the Bristol Channel! It's a pity I don't have a wind turbine....I could light up most of the Vale! If your hives are situated in a sheltered spot...you are lucky.

It's not just shelter it's the position of varroa tray slot , length width depth of entrance etc. etc.
Easier to get wrong than right, but doable.

Some years ago I tried mesh floor. I had 6 hives. There was three one box hives and three 2-box hives.

After Winter one box hive was starved and other two were close by.
And 2 winter months was still left. Food consumption was at least 50% over normal.

In two box hives I did not notice danger of starving.

After that I have not dreamed about mesh floor. But however, it is usual in cold Finland.

When I have heated hives in spring with terrarium heaters, I have noticed, how good is warm floor. And then... A mesh floor.. No.

Some years ago I tried mesh floor. I had 6 hives. There was three one box hives and three 2-box hives.

After Winter one box hive was starved and other two were close by.
And 2 winter months was still left. Food consumption was at least 50% over normal.

In two box hives I did not notice danger of starving.

After that I have not dreamed about mesh floor. But however, it is usual in cold Finland.

When I have heated hives in spring with terrarium heaters, I have noticed, how good is warm floor. And then... A mesh floor.. No.

Not really relevant advice for new beekeepers in the UK ... as has often been said your climate and seasons are very different to over here. A post like this should carry a caveat that it should be largely ignored .... this is the BEGINNERS section.

It's not just shelter it's the position of varroa tray slot , length width depth of entrance etc. etc.
Easier to get wrong than right, but doable.

It is hard to position my hives to avoid the wind. If you use windbreaks...you cause turbulence which could blow up under them. atm the poly hives are sitting on slates, on a stand...which stops a lot of the wind...but I have been thinking of putting a piece of wood across the back of them where the varroa tray goes in...the wind is so strong here that it is often difficult to stand up. It takes the varroa trays out from under the hive and I have had to go search for them!

Not really relevant advice for new beekeepers in the UK ... as has often been said your climate and seasons are very different to over here. A post like this should carry a caveat that it should be largely ignored .... this is the BEGINNERS section.

You are wrong.

Consider wrapping the hive to groundlevel with correx so it's a wind break for one

Correx wouldn't last for 5 minutes around here I'm afraid! Everything has to be tied down, screwed down and bolted down. Anything flimsy...gets ripped to shreds and scattered over the Vale.
Last year all my daughters garden furniture blew away...we were lucky the glass top slid onto the grass...we were able to rescue it and put it in the hay shed...it's still there! they've got metal furniture now.
So far the Beehaus seem fairly steady in the wind...even side on. So despite the rumours that they blow over....they are OK.
I will soon have to take the supers off my little tower...I wouldn't bet on its chances of staying upright once the winter winds arrive.

:iagree:
There are quite noticeable differences even within the UK too.
Personally, I consider open-mesh-floors essential equipment

90% of advices on this forum are irrelevant in beekeeping. And beginners are adviced to do things what teacher never will do himself. How climate explain this?

beginners are adviced to do things what teacher never will do himself. How climate explain this?

Climate is critical to the timing and, in some cases, the applicability of some techniques.
For example, I'm in Bedfordshire and I didn't even start queen rearing until a month after Hivemaker. People west and north of me were even later. Some people are still talking about queen rearing and I am preparing my bees for winter. Everything depends on where you are.

Correx wouldn't last for 5 minutes around here I'm afraid! Everything has to be tied down, screwed down and bolted down. Anything flimsy...gets ripped to shreds and scattered over the Vale.
Last year all my daughters garden furniture blew away...we were lucky the glass top slid onto the grass...we were able to rescue it and put it in the hay shed...it's still there! they've got metal furniture now.
So far the Beehaus seem fairly steady in the wind...even side on. So despite the rumours that they blow over....they are OK.
I will soon have to take the supers off my little tower...I wouldn't bet on its chances of staying upright once the winter winds arrive.

I did mean strapped tightly to the hive

I did mean strapped tightly to the hive

I used to live not far from where you are ...believe me when I say windy! The correx would need to nailed on all the edges. I know you are trying to help with suggestions...Actually you have given me an idea... A piece of baton...hinged to flap up and be secured at the back of the hive would do it. I need to be able to flap it down for varroa monitoring.
Thank you....

So can I conclude that if I remove the draft excluder from under the varroa mesh Bernoulli's principle will not apply?

Latest posts

Back