Vaping from above or below? And what about the OMF?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
I've invested in a GasVap which might arrive later this week all being well. I was thinking of vaping from below'ish.. i.e. drilling a small hole low down in the back of the brood box. This seems the quickest way....?

I'm aware that I could put eke's on all the hives and vape from above but unless I have an eke for every hive that's going to take time continually moving the eke from one hive to another. Are there any good reasons to vape from above?

And then of course there's the OMF. Should I leave as it or should I be covering it? I assume covering it would be more effective, but it would also be more of a pain.

Right now I use a Varrox type tool & I don't cover the OMF. The mites still seem to die...but maybe I could get more?

So, what I'm asking is in a long winded way is:
  • is it better to vape from above or below?
  • should I be covering / blocking the OMF?
Many thanks.

The Gasvap is an active sublimation, yes?
In which case if you vape without blocking off the OMF you will lose a heck of a lot of sublimate straight out. I vape with a sublimox from the back over the OMF and I block that off, always
If you vape from the top there's no need to close the entrance but I would still close the OMF.
I have vaped some hives from the top, leaving the eke in place till treatment ends

No...nothing excessive on the top of the frames... I've vaped both with and without the board in... I don't think it makes much difference but if you put the board in and leave it in for a day you will get a good indication of the kill rate.

I tried firing up the gas vap for the first time today and the torch just blows out. ???????????

PH

I tried firing up the gas vap for the first time today and the torch just blows out. ???????????

PH
What torch do you have PH? I bought the Mk1 model gas vap and the torch recommended at the time and it was a fiddle to set it so it would ignite with the gas vap in place.
It was OK once you got the flame just right but if it then went out it was a long wait before it would even consider relighting.
The new, recommended torch is supposed to be more reliable so I believe.

I'll have a look tomorrow as the feet are frozen and the gear is in the garage.

PH

Mine arrived in the post this week - hoping to give it a go this weekend. Unfortunately they no longer offer the Taylor and Brown torch. I went with the Rekrow one which was somewhat more expensive, but they sold it based on reliability (the same premise as the Taylor and Brown according to the Black Mountain YouTube vid).

It's my first purchase from the UK since Brexit.....cost me €34 in customs / import fees!

Same blow torch I have with mine, find it works well. I just stuff it in the entrance and seems to work fine. Most of my floors are solid though.

I just found the pamphlet from Gas-Vap and in red it says the torch must not be too powerful so there is my issue I suspect. My torch is a Workmate TP2062H.

Suggestions for an alternate?

BTY I had my last discussion with Thornes the other day. I wanted to buy crystals and the website played up. When I said it had I got a very snappish reply. Then I priced the crystals else where and for the same amount it went from £47 odds to £25 odds. Bye bye T. One greedy bite too many. Order cancelled.

PH

Same blow torch I have with mine, find it works well. I just stuff it in the entrance and seems to work fine. Most of my floors are solid though.
I modified my mark 1 Gas-Vap by enlarging the flame exit holes where the flame impinges on the vertical part. Since then it's been "flame-stable" using a cheap eBay cooks blowtorch.

Too hot in my estimation... it uses a butane propane mix which is very hot (you can braze with it) and even turning the flame down very low it will be more heat than you need for sublimating the OA,

I have a Cadrim cooks torch which has worked very well - although not everyone has found it as reliable. I think the key is to keep the heat as low as you need to get the OA sublimating - takes a bit of trial and error.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadrim-Kitchen-Adjustable-Refillable-Blowtorch/dp/B07HKC5FN3
The better quality torch that John sells has some rave reviews and he offers a guarantee with it as well. Bit more expensive than the Cadrim though,

I just found the pamphlet from Gas-Vap and in red it says the torch must not be too powerful so there is my issue I suspect. My torch is a Workmate TP2062H.

Suggestions for an alternate?

BTY I had my last discussion with Thornes the other day. I wanted to buy crystals and the website played up. When I said it had I got a very snappish reply. Then I priced the crystals else where and for the same amount it went from £47 odds to £25 odds. Bye bye T. One greedy bite too many. Order cancelled.

PH
Maisemore sell 1kg for under a tenner

Latest posts

Back