Value of Colony. Please Help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 soon to be 3
Due to a change in circumstances I am struggling to find time to properly look after my colony. So I think the right thing to do is sell up, as much as it pains me to admit it.

It's a healthy colony on brood and a half with unmarked last years queen. I would be selling it with brood and a half plus one super. All cedar standard national hive with Flat Roof.

I know there are variables based on location etc but what would be a fair price for this do you think. I am based in Midlands by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Millet? That's a ridiculous comment.

How is it worthless?

A good size nuc is worth £200 so a full colony in a cedar hive could at least demand £250-300 IMO

How is it worthless?

A good size nuc is worth £200 so a full colony in a cedar hive could at least demand £250-300 IMO

Must say I was surprised by that comment too. I would say between £250-350 if healthy. Also depend on quality & age of hive as well of course.

Due to a change in circumstances I am struggling to find time to properly look after my colony. So I think the right thing to do is sell up, as much as it pains me to admit it.

It's a healthy colony on brood and a half with unmarked last years queen. I would be selling it with brood and a half plus one super. All cedar standard national hive with Flat Roof.

I know there are variables based on location etc but what would be a fair price for this do you think. I am based in Midlands by the way.

Thanks in advance.

The prices have dropped now 2018 nucs are coming on tap. Would have got a lot more 4-6 weeks ago.
Why don't you contact you local BBKA group- they often have bee dating lists. Someone may be waiting for a full size colony.

Bees are worth whatever you can get for them but keep your expectations low at this time of year. Most people have already bought colonies if they want to start keeping bees and swarms (free) seem very abundant at present.
Unless you have very good bees, any value I would say is in the hive parts which many will be looking to buy to deal with splits etc
S

Good points regarding timing, condition and the fact it's only got one super.

April is definitely the best time to sell your bees as people are most keen, and no in season splits are ready for a couple of months.

Colony on brood and a half with only 1 super, with the weather we've been having, has clearly had some sort of manipulation earlier in the year, or swarmed etc

Best to overwinter it and sell in the spring

You'd have to take the age of the equipment into consideration but an established colony is certainly worth money (£200+). Even if the buyer decided to requeen it with a different line, the brood would support her until her own brood took over. It only takes a couple of mins to mark the queen so I would do that if you can. The important thing is: is the brood healthy? What's the pattern like?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Matt why not sell it for honey . Some one local pref a friend bee keeper if it's worth £350 that's 70 jars of good honey you could come to an agreement that he/she supplies you over the coming seasons . Just a thought .
I was wondering why you have only one super on all my brood/half hives even the one that swarmed early in the season has 2 on ?

Ask £250 and you won't go far wrong
E

That would make it a real bargain. With the hive and parts included I'd be lookign at £400 minimum...but lots of depends. Last years queen is a negative...

I find it really difficult to sell full colonies. Nucs on the other hand, fly out of the door

Most people decide to get into beekeeping and buy a hive, then set about trying to fill it. Most with a nuc, some with a swarm.

Its rare that people getting into it will buy a full hive with colony, so more aimed at experienced keepers, who know they can just get the same result with a split and some time.

Thanks for the comments, £300 sounds fair at the moment based on commets. They actually have 3 supers on, but I was going to have my last crop of honey before they go. I could sell the whole lot but I thought that would be a real unknown in terms of price.

How much for each additional super? I have loads of other equipment to sell as well but trying to focus on getting my colony looked after properly first and foremost.

How is it worthless?

Sorry but i disagree i personally would not touch it with a barge pole or take it for free, once bitten twice shy so to speak and the same goes for swarms unless i know they are from my own colonies.

As pointed out, a £30 queen resolves all issues with regards to lineage and frame inspections resolve any lingering doubt about disease (kind of).

To say its worthless isnt really fair.

Ok - you dont want to buy it, but that doesnt impact on its actual value.

As pointed out, a £30 queen resolves all issues with regards to lineage and frame inspections resolve any lingering doubt about disease (kind of).

To say its worthless isnt really fair.

Ok - you dont want to buy it, but that doesnt impact on its actual value.

Fair point.. ;)

Latest posts

Back