Value of Colony. Please Help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As pointed out, a £30 queen resolves all issues with regards to lineage and frame inspections resolve any lingering doubt about disease (kind of).

To say its worthless isnt really fair.

Ok - you dont want to buy it, but that doesnt impact on its actual value.

Exactly ... bees are bees and kit is kit .. it all has a value and to say they are worthless is only the personal view of someone who, a couple of years ago, was asking how he could best attract a swarm as he wasn't really interested in the honey ... just wanted to help the bees that were in trouble.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33903

My hubby n i started last year after doing the courses and getting to the point in needing our own hive to really learn from. We bought a full hive with 1 full super in august last year , the guy selling was slimming down his apiary and gave us another empty hive 2 wooden qe and 4 extra supers with frames for all. He asked £100 and we took the plunge with our first full hive. I have since requeened so £40 on top. We feel it was an absolute bargain and have since split from it. The hive material wasnt anything special but it being cheap enabled us to buy some cedar hives. All in all we were lucky. They were healthy and varroa load was low. Were we foolhardy buying a full hive at the twilight of the season ? Probably but it worked out for us.

Exactly ... bees are bees and kit is kit .. it all has a value and to say they are worthless is only the personal view of someone who, a couple of years ago, was asking how he could best attract a swarm as he wasn't really interested in the honey ... just wanted to help the bees that were in trouble.

You are turning out to be a clown i could use stronger words but i will not bother on a arse wipe..

Where am i at now though have i failed or have i pulled safe that is the Question, i have six mated Queen up to now nearly 140lb of honey on and extracted from one colony alone not forgetting the others... and yes i am not interested in honey.. it tastes like your comments to me which is dog something.. however i seem to be doing something correct thanks to not listening to divvies like you.. :laughing-smiley-004 .. and obviously i have a load of honey that i will not eat through doing the correct things...so it only seems sensible to me to sell it and buy more kit as i am Quickly expanding and doing ok considering i do not know what i am doing.

"Politeness is the flower of humanity...."

Come on B+....Pargyle is just a troll who loves to posts insulting posts about other posters. He's probably having a quick hand shandy at the moment because Millet rose to his insult.
A real Wi&ker ;)

Last edited:
Come on B+ ...read the posts...it all started when Pargyle posted his provocative post...nowt to do with anything else.
the personal view of someone who, a couple of years ago, was asking how he could best attract a swarm as he wasn't really interested in the honey ... just wanted to help the bees that were in trouble.

As it happens Millet is right a hive is worth nowt....I'm giving a hive (boxes etc) with F1 Buckfast queen away for free to a new beekeeper.
When I started I was gifted a lot of generosity ...I like to repay.

As it happens Millet is right a hive is worth nowt....I'm giving a hive (boxes etc) with F1 Buckfast queen away for free to a new beekeeper.

As I did when I gave the queen to Millet last year...but that's not the point. This isn't a playground. Name calling and offensive language have no place here. It has to stop.

Name calling and offensive language have no place here. It has to stop.

Until people stop trying to wind other forum members up it won't. Just because someone posts a point of view others don't agree with no need to resort to nasty insinuations. Look at Linoeleum bonepratts comments earlier today about Millets posts. Unacceptable and total insulting. Too many looking for a fight.
Educate not isolate.

Until people stop trying to wind other forum members up it won't. Just because someone posts a point of view others don't agree with no need to resort to nasty insinuations. Look at Linoeleum bonepratts comments earlier today about Millets posts. Unacceptable and total insulting. Too many looking for a fight.
Educate not isolate.

It always starts somewhere.... and it's always someone else. I can almost hear a child saying 'it wasn't me. It was him" or the soldier accused of war crime s who "was only carrying out orders". It's all just deflection. It isn't necessary here.

It always starts somewhere.... and it's always someone else. I can almost hear a child saying 'it wasn't me. It was him" or the soldier accused of war crime s who "was only carrying out orders". It's all just deflection. It isn't necessary here.

Leave me alone or talk to me in a polite manner, please do not ask for a rise as you may get one which usually makes me out to be a idiot , i am not one for mind games so play nice or ignore me..

Yes, usually with the trolls who dominate this forum creating discord using Ad hominen is used by many.

Last edited:
Not worth the the energy of my fingers for a reply, that is why the nugget was ignored..;)

I know a few people who know the Pratt. They agree.. best ignored if posting inflammatory comments like this.

Here is my input:

I started as a new beekeeper last April and I bought two nucs and have since gone on to make more colonies, do splits and make unions, I have made colonies queenless deliberately and accidentally, I have made mistakes. Mostly, I have learned that many beekeepers have extra swarms, colonies, equipment, knowledge and advice that they are quite content to hand out for no charge so no further outlay for bees is necessary; as a new beekeeper I did not know this.

My point, and it has actually already been stated, is that new beekeepers will quite happily buy a nuc and bring it on with their own equipment but the likelihood of that same novice buying a complete hive with 60,000 bees, a super and who-knows-what in diseases is almost nil.

My advice for what it's worth is to give all your stuff to your local BKA apiary in return for some honey and put the initial outlay down to experience.

The big alternative is to bite the bullet, make time for your bees and carry on regardless. If you only have one colony then this year, or next, or the one after, something is going to go wrong and you'll have no bees to worry about anyway and the problem will largely solve itself.

As a novice I wouldn't have bought someones old hive and colony. I would (and did) however buy a nuc from a reputable dealer with the assurance that it was disease-free, had a mated and marked young queen, had at least five frames of BIAS and had the backup of the beekeeper that sold it to me.

Stuff is only worth something if there is someone willing to buy it; good luck with that.

Come on B+ ...read the posts...it all started when Pargyle posted his provocative post...nowt to do with anything else.

Would you like to donate something to my school apiary?

Really is worse than children on here sometimes - really not necessary guys. Remember what this forum is about - certainly not bickering.
I have learnt my lesson there.

One would think that beekeepers were a gentle lot but TBH this is the worst forum I am on for being snarky. Calm down all, they are just insects in the end and have no more respect for us than the frigging horse flies that have been plaguing me for days. We should at least respect each other.

Latest posts

Back