using your bees wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cappings or comb to show winning wax tablet??

Anyone give advice on, or know where I can find some details on turning my cappings and old combs into show-winning wax tablets. Strikes me that there are all sorts of "tricks" to this, but would love to have a go his year.

Anyone give advice on, or know where I can find some details on turning my cappings and old combs into show-winning wax tablets. Strikes me that there are all sorts of "tricks" to this, but would love to have a go his year.

perhaps that would of been better under your own post, after an introduction of yourself of course, rather than hijacking this post

You've got it all set up in that there cave you have!! Lovely wax products, fancy doing a video and forgetting to video the pouring bit! lol

Brilliant though. First time I've seen it done and it looks so simple! Might have a crack at this myself :)

Don't think RC actually forgot, just hadn't got a spare battery for the camera, nor electric to charge in the hut(?) and could not keep the wax melted for a long period!

I usually pack larger moulds, which can sag under the weight of the wax, onto crumpled up old tea cloths and towels to give them support and slow the cooling rate. Most tend to get overfilled and flatted later, on a warm craft iron. A freezer helps to de-mould, for the difficult ones.

The vid does demonstrate the simplicity - and the need for a quiet work area! Nice one!

Don't think RC actually forgot, just hadn't got a spare battery for the camera, nor electric to charge in the hut(?) and could not keep the wax melted for a long period!

I usually pack larger moulds, which can sag under the weight of the wax, onto crumpled up old tea cloths and towels to give them support and slow the cooling rate. Most tend to get overfilled and flatted later, on a warm craft iron. A freezer helps to de-mould, for the difficult ones.

The vid does demonstrate the simplicity - and the need for a quiet work area! Nice one!

I was only teasing :) Thanks for the other tips, I'm going to write them down in the back of my book for when I attempt to try this. Great tips!

try googling wax for show by F Padmore - there's a document onthe natinal Honey show website and on Dave Cushman's

your right, I didn't forget, but at that very moment someone walked down wanting to buy honey and cut comb, so I poured whilst talking to them, which then ruined the camera shot, yup I have electric via an extension lead, and the camera is a go pro and loads of power, I like the crumpled towel idea olly and the craft Iron, although doubt I'll go that far,

I tend to try and it all do as quick as possible, as from other clips, you can see both my garden hives are only a few feet from the shed door, bees smell the melted wax and come to investigate, so it's either shut yourself in, in which case it then feels like a Swedish sauna or do it quick and leave, I once made the mistake of popping back in for a coffee, but left the door open, returning to find a few hundred bees in the man cave

Latest posts

Back