Abelo steam wax melter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivetool2021

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looks nice .
Would a barrel and steamer not do the same job

I have one and find it useful, especially for cappings. I do put some frames through but iirc only <15 max fit in so if you have a large number it takes a long time. At 50 pence per frame, the cost of electricity and a need for kindling for the woodburner, it can seem an unnecessary faff.

I've used one for a few years but they're pretty slow.if you have a lot of wax then it takes ages to get up to temp for melting.Fine for small amounts though.
I've now put a gate valve on a 45 gallon drum and a double burner gas stove running on lpg.Much quicker and can do large quantities of wax.

I've used one for a few years but they're pretty slow.if you have a lot of wax then it takes ages to get up to temp for melting.Fine for small amounts though.
I've now put a gate valve on a 45 gallon drum and a double burner gas stove running on lpg.Much quicker and can do large quantities of wax.
I don't think I've understood how this works. Is the valve at the top of the water level to drain off floating wax?

Can the barrel sit on the stove or does it need to be independently supported above it?

I put the gate IMG_20230110_133623.jpgvalve about4" above base of drum so once all boiled down i can turn heat off and leave to settle for a short time for crud and the water used when starting off to sink below tap.Clean wax then pours off.I made a stand to put drum on but its sitting on the burner.The stand is more for support to stop it from tipping forward or backward.That's unlikely but me being me then id probably end up doing it.

double burner around£25,gate valve around£25 and drums are around a tenner.Better and cheaper than steam one as long as you don't have to buy lpg bottle

I have a second hand abelo wax melter . Will do the job in one go. if you take the basket out you can get a few more frames in. I've wrapped mine in hot water tank insulation so it is much quicker to get to temperature, maintain it and get the job done. Just don't use it when the bees are flying or you will end up with entombed bodies in the wax

Hold off for a moment as Abelo have a wood fired melter just about to come back in stock….
I've just had one delivered (very good), fitted a 10kw commercial burner with 19kg Propane tank, stuck the lot on a trolly.

I'll use this for pre-wired frames, nucs/mating hives and national parts. Also wax using a commercial pot placed inside.

Great kit, very well made.

I also have an older version of the Abelo boiler. I'd fully recommend a gas burner version as the smoke from burning wood is a pain. When I have wanted to clean up frames I cut out the wax and put it into the steam melter and clean up the frames in a boiling washing soda solution.
Any experience of using plastic cable ties to hold frames together in bundles of 10 in the boiler to make it more space efficient and make removal easier? Something like this:

610 x 9.0mm Black Cable Ties - Pack of 100
f680a364-6409-4f42-a7e6-0fd3d0d4d290_600x.jpg

Hi all, I'm considering buying Abelos steam wax melter as I have a large number of frames where I cut out comb and rendered but have frames that need the remaining wax in the side bars to be mekted out.
Has any one got experience of using this but of kit
Here's the link
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/special-offers/70-litre-stainless-steel-steam-wax-melter-2/Many thanks hive tool
In principle,for recovering wax from frames this is a good solution,as in,steam melting. The side bars would be easy to clean as you unload the hot frames. The weak point with this particular model is possibly the small steamer. Okay for occasional use but not really up to continuous processing. Depends on what you want to spend. I find that investing in equipment is usually repaid pretty quickly in terms of time saved as well as production.

The solid fuel boiler would be good for sterilising frames as well as melting wax .

Hi all just purchased a Loga wax melter/disenfecter unfortunately all the instructions are in foreign languages anybody know of any English instructions for it great bit of kit but it would help to have instructions in our tongue

As well as Eric's post above, some of the other Logar melters have instructional videos on the logar website

Hi all, I'm considering buying Abelos steam wax melter as I have a large number of frames where I cut out comb and rendered but have frames that need the remaining wax in the side bars to be mekted out.
Has any one got experience of using this but of kit
Here's the link
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/special-offers/70-litre-stainless-steel-steam-wax-melter-2/Many thanks hive tool
Why do you not use a Solar Wax Extractor? Mine is a Recycled wooden box shape made to fit the size of an old double glazed window Pane this is metal lined with space for a Wax collecting receptacle at the bottom. A large Funnel shaped guide directs the melted wax to this. The receptacle I use is an old 2lb Loaf Container made of Latex suitable for an Oven. Old Pillow Slips are used to Filter the molten Wax and if it is not clean enough with the first run I repeat using a clean case. This has served me well and costs me nothing to run, just the odd burn if I am careless with molten wax. I can also sort out wax by colour depending what I am using it for. It’s Loaves of Wax I turn out which is easily stacked for keeping too.

Why do you not use a Solar Wax Extractor?
For me it's mainly a question of melter capacity and time. I melted down 30-40lbs of cappings wax yesterday in my steam melter in a couple of hours. If I was using a solar melter i'd have to stock up and empty the melter several times, deal with wasps/bees lured to the smell, pray/sacrifice a 🐐 for sunny weather, store the drained cappings prior to melting. I like the idea and used to have a solar melter but for me it's not practical.

For me it's mainly a question of melter capacity and time. I melted down 30-40lbs of cappings wax yesterday in my steam melter in a couple of hours. If I was using a solar melter i'd have to stock up and empty the melter several times, deal with wasps/bees lured to the smell, pray/sacrifice a 🐐 for sunny weather, store the drained cappings prior to melting. I like the idea and used to have a solar melter but for me it's not practical.
:iagree: not really practical for anyone with more than a handful of hives, and a life.

Latest posts

Back