"The Alchemist" small solar wax melter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0otz

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The small solar wax melter in Bee Equipment's new range caught my eye recently - The Alchemist
Cheaper than others I'd looked at (Thorne and Abelo primarily) and being all stainless there's no need to worry about rust/rot so I took the plunge (BEECRAFT10 code helped ;))

A few of the edges are sharper than I'd have liked, but it's all stainless, double glazed and appears to work:
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-21 at 3.21.46 PM.jpeg

That was originally a very manky 14x12 frame. I tried to flip the frame over and the comb all fell out, there's melted wax. Not much more to say really. Thumbs up from me if they come back in stock (y)

Tinkering by proxy already.
I'd make a "nest " of kingspan for it to sit in.
The thought has already crossed my mind. Although the grille inside is angled, the box and window itself aren't. I propped the back up on some scraps of wood to better catch the sun. A kingspan "nest" as you put it, with an integrated slope/angle set.

The thought has already crossed my mind. Although the grille inside is angled, the box and window itself aren't. I propped the back up on some scraps of wood to better catch the sun. A kingspan "nest" as you put it, with an integrated slope/angle set.

....or make one entirely out of PIR board. I rigged one up the other week by simply turning upside down one of my winter bee-cosies and placing the conveniently-shaped lid of an old barbecue in the middle. A sheet of greenhouse glass over the top and the wax dripped through the vent holes in the lid to be collected in an ice-cream tub.

20220607_143937.jpg

Latest posts

Back