Using the Chinese grafting tool

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Are there any tutorials available on how to graft correctly? I've been trying with very little success. On my frame with 20 cups, my three attempts resulted in 1, 0 and 4 QCs respectively. While I think my technique is improving, I'd love a video or step-by-step idiot's guide. If one isn't available, perhaps the experts who can graft in their sleep would be willing to create one?

Are you sure your larvae are young enough? What is the setup of your hive to build cells?

Are you sure your larvae are young enough? What is the setup of your hive to build cells?
I'm using the Ben Harden method, and I've grafted really, really tiny larvae. So I'm pretty confident of the method and the ages, just not the physicat mechanics of taking the larva from the cell and successfully loading it into the cup

I'm using the Ben Harden method, and I've grafted really, really tiny larvae. So I'm pretty confident of the method and the ages, just not the physicat mechanics of taking the larva from the cell and successfully loading it into the cup

Id say try a queenless setup and see how you go and then you'll be sure if it is your grafting that's the problem

The larvae you want will be smaller than an egg which is probably half the size of a grain of rice....so, they are very small. I use an opti-visor and a cheap 9-cell light from Poundland (lots of cool light).
Be careful not to roll or stretch the lavae. Just pop the grafting tool in, scoop and withdraw it in a smooth motion. It might help to tip the frame forward at the top or cut-down the edge of the cell with a knife. Getting it off is actually harder than collecting the larva but, with the Chinese grafting tool, you can position it in the centre of your cup and slide it off by depressing the button on the top.

try a fine modelers paint brush I found it hard not to damage the larvae with the grafting tool, probably because i'm a ham fisted git.

The larvae you want will be smaller than an egg which is probably half the size of a grain of rice....so, they are very small. I use an opti-visor and a cheap 9-cell light from Poundland (lots of cool light).
Be careful not to roll or stretch the lavae. Just pop the grafting tool in, scoop and withdraw it in a smooth motion. It might help to tip the frame forward at the top or cut-down the edge of the cell with a knife. Getting it off is actually harder than collecting the larva but, with the Chinese grafting tool, you can position it in the centre of your cup and slide it off by depressing the button on the top.

This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I tend to roll the larvae and I found that coming in from the side seems to pick them up better. However, a tutorial would be like golddust!

Give club secretary a shout he grafts most weeks getting 16 out of 20 takes and will demonstrate his tecknique for u

I gently push the flexible bit of the grafting tool straight down the side of the cell wall until you feel resistance at the bottom, give it a little more pressure (the tongue should flex under the larva) and then pull straight back up again, hopefully you end up with a larvae on the end. I try to approach larvae from the convex side (back of the 'c'). Am still a novice but so far seems to work - just have to keep at it, first few attempts might not work but it seems to get easier! :)

I have never got on with the chinese tool so use a small brush which seems to work well enough - as I'm a ham fisted git too! :)

I also use a v fine paint brush. Much more gentle and larvae/royal jelly hang on well so I can reposition in same configuration.

The only way to learn is to do it really as seeing someone do it don't tell you the pressure they use or the slide under they perform.

Personally I cannot use a brush nor did I have any success with the chinese do dah.

I use a double cranked grafting tool and the reason I get on with it is I can press down on the wax cell bottom and slip the tool under them.

If you can see the larvae clearly they are TOO OLD. The ones you want are half the size of a grain of rice and are translucent. YOu "see" them more by instinct than reality sorry to say.

When my eyesight was very good I used a 150 watt lamp to illuminate the frame, now I use bloody good glasses, (thank you ASDA) and sunlight. Your vision is all here. If you can see well you can graft using what ever method and for me Q+ systems dinna work but Q- does.

Each to their own and dinna ever forget the weather. Years ago I grafted and grafted for days, no joy or so poor I was near weeping with the frustration then the sun came out and..............from 36 I had 32 accepted. ;)

PH

Larvae for grafting are one day old and look like a smudge of mucus in the base of the cell.
I have had some success this year, Pete, and 8 apideas provided mated queens for a few newbees who 'lost' their queens! I am reducing hive numbers next year to concentrate on more queen rearing. It is fun... and 22 hives are too many!

I'm afraid I really am useless at this. I've tried it six times this year, resulting in only 2 queens (one of which absconded). I just checked and the grafts from the weekend are all ignored and empty. Ah well, I'll try again next year - maybe I'll pick up a metal tool or try a brush.

I'm afraid I really am useless at this. I've tried it six times this year, resulting in only 2 queens (one of which absconded). I just checked and the grafts from the weekend are all ignored and empty. Ah well, I'll try again next year - maybe I'll pick up a metal tool or try a brush.

Is it your grafts or what you do with them after? I was the same, so I created a cell starter with a frame of pollen and one of honey, these were placed in a 3 frame box I made, then added a super full of bees. Left them for 24 hours before adding the graphs, the accepted them all (20 of them).

Is it your grafts or what you do with them after? I was the same, so I created a cell starter with a frame of pollen and one of honey, these were placed in a 3 frame box I made, then added a super full of bees. Left them for 24 hours before adding the graphs, the accepted them all (20 of them).

Sounds like a good idea - I may have yet another attempt this year, just to see if I can do it!

Agree, when queen cups made, leave for bees to wander over, prepare etc ... I leave a few days.

Latest posts

Back