First go at grafting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I ordered a queen rearing kit in an online sale.

Took it with me on my last inspection. I have s hive I THINK is queenless although I haven’t done a test frame. Decided I’d try sticking a few grafts in as nothing to lose. Expected success 0%!

I was surprised by how hard it was to get the larvae on to the tip of the Chinese tool, despite trimming the cell sides. I squashed, squished and flicked loads! Still, I managed to get 5 into the JZBZ cups.

When I went to put the frame in the hive (supplied by the retailer with a groove for the cups) 2 cups fell straight off! So a 40% failure rate before I got the frame in!

Back today to check with low expectations, but will make 2nd attempt if still appear queenless.

I think I’ve found myself another new way to be frustrated while beekeeping!:rolleyes:

Lots of practice will soon get you there.i started with Chinese grafting tools but never really got the hang of them.i always use the ones with a flattened tip like a tiny flat spoon.Have also used a piece of wire with tip flattened on many occasions.Try different tools until you find one you like.Some use a tiny paint brush.You could use anything that would pick up the larvae but I suppose its easier when you're familiar with a particular tool

Try different tools until you find one you like.

Excellent advice!
The age of the comb can also have an impact on your performance. Old comb (that may have been darkened by previous brood) is stronger while brand new comb is very fragile.

Ease of lifting larvae is also affected by how well fed your breeder colony has been if I was to graft on Sunday after 2 days of heavy rain they'd be on vastly reduced beds of royal jelly and so harder to scoop up ( if not fed).

With the Chinese tools I've always spent a few mins with 1500 wet and dry thinning the reed. Makes them more flexible .

I ordered a queen rearing kit in an online sale.

Took it with me on my last inspection. I have s hive I THINK is queenless although I haven’t done a test frame. Decided I’d try sticking a few grafts in as nothing to lose. Expected success 0%!

I was surprised by how hard it was to get the larvae on to the tip of the Chinese tool, despite trimming the cell sides. I squashed, squished and flicked loads! Still, I managed to get 5 into the JZBZ cups.

When I went to put the frame in the hive (supplied by the retailer with a groove for the cups) 2 cups fell straight off! So a 40% failure rate before I got the frame in!

Back today to check with low expectations, but will make 2nd attempt if still appear queenless.
/
As B+ said old comb is alot easier to graft from than new.

Chinese grafting tool takes a bit of practice but works well. The fixed metal ones I find are easy to scoop the larvae up but getting them into the cup is my issue.

If you're talking about the brown cup slipping out of the cream holder I find a tiny piece of wax/propolis wedged in between works.

If you're talking about the brown cup slipping out of the cream holder I find a tiny piece of wax/propolis wedged in between works.

I suspect that you're talking about the cheap Chinese "alternative" rather than genuine Nicot cell cups. I find Nicot very good. Of course, odd cup holders may become deformed but, generally, Nicot are all I use.
On the subject of grafting tools; there is a huge variation in quality. I have tried the stainless steel Swiss tool but I wasn't able to get the hang of it. The Chinese tools work best for me. Although some of them seem more flexible than others. I have seen a video on YouTube where someone shows hor to dismantle the workings, trim the "tongue" with nail clippers, then reassemble it. He claims that the narrower tongue works better. I haven't tried it because I bought a batch of 30. If one seems stiff or out of alignment, I just select another. I suppose I'll go through the discarded ones over winter if I get time.

Latest posts

Back