Using Nuc boxes for artificial swarming?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am curious to know how many of you use nuc boxes instead of brood boxes for artificial swarming. I have 5 colonies and do not want to increase.:rolleyes:

Nuc boxes have no use.

You make a artificial swarm to cut swarming fever and them you must join hive parts that they can make to you honey. Foragers and nurser bees must bee in balance.

the only use for nucs would be to make splits.

you don't need to increase if A/Sing. yes you need a spare box for each hive BUT the same applies re nucs. plus uniting not as easy.

vertical A/S, run as two queen system and then one (oldest) queen culled leaving you back to square one at end of season but with strong colonies and young queens.

Hmm... well that is one opinion.

I put the queen and three frames of brood into a nuc box, leave an open cell, as young as possible in the brood box and that is it.

PH

PH - what would you then do with your resulting 2 colonies - 1 in full brood box, 1 in a nuc - assuming that you didn't want any to sell and didn't want to increase.

I would wait for the virgin to mate then when completely satisfied with them I would unite the nuc back to boost them up for winter, minus the old queen of course.

PH

The idea of artificial swarm is to stop swarming fever and the queen continue laying for main yield
- Don't give up your goal that you get honey from the hive.

- the space needed depends on how big is the original hive
- put the artificial swarm on foundations. It stops the swarming fever.

- Important is the the queen lays with whole speed and the hive rear brood for later yield handling

- the bigger the hive, the more brood and foragers

If you mix splits to this operation, you will loose the main yield.

I would wait for the virgin to mate then when completely satisfied with them I would unite the nuc back to boost them up for winter, minus the old queen of course.

PH

The basic idea is to join hive parts to get honey yield.

May is not time to plan wintering.

You may take queen or two to the nucs and make spare queens. But it is another story.

Last edited:
Of course, it might just depend on when all this is happening. Consisdering your local flows might be a better way to assess things 'on the ground' rather than theoretically in the middle of winter. By now (nearly) all should be aware that Finman's, season bears little resemblance to that of the UK, and that of the UK can be very variable, to say the least.

Perhaps one should qualify your nuc, as well. My six frame jumbo polynucs on 14 x 12 (they would be even bigger as jumbo Langstroths) are more than a tad larger than a more usual five framer on deeps.I note the OP has not indicated his/her hive type.

Pop that little lot in your smoker and pipe it and some may come to different conclusions than those opinions stated above.

If not for increase, and they need to be artificially swarmed is there any other way to remain at the same number of colonies other than re-uniting (giving away or selling colonies not being considered here)?

RAB

I use Pa*n*s poly nuc's for swarming. They hold 6 frames and its a nice size for the bees to start over in. If i deside to re-unit i would just pop them into anther brood box, on top of/or below the box im uniting with. (news paper method)

Last edited:
This discussion spreads again like a fart into Sahara..

LOL....you mean you would not swarm one of your strong seven box hives into a five or six frame standard national frame nuc box, and expect them all to fit in, and be perfectly happy.

LOL....you mean you would not swarm one of your strong seven box hives into a five or six frame standard national frame nuc box, and expect them all to fit in, and be perfectly happy.

to Oliver...
Colonies swarm when they swarm. They do not know is it UK or finland.
They have EU SHEDULE YOU KNOW.
Aftificial swarms use to be made when there are queen cells in the hive. Not for fun.

At least my swarms does not accept nucs because they allways need two Langstroth boxes.

I you succeed 6 frame hive to swarm, do something to your national style.

my 5 frame 16 x 10 nuc boxes are plenty big enough for use in A/S.
( not all nuc's are equal)

As PH says above. One brood frame, the queen and a good shake to make up the nuc. Let the colony re-queen. When good brood being produced decide what to do with the nuc. Lots of options and a safety net to fall back on.
Peter

In this discussion it has been mixed the swarming control (I do not want to add hives)

and nuc making via an artificial swarm (I want more hives)

or what is the ieda...

This discussion spreads again like a fart into Sahara..

:rofl:

'They have EU SHEDULE YOU KNOW.'

And just as complicated at times!

Hivemaker
I was referring to PH making up a nuc with the queen. Then giving my own method of using one brood frame etc.
Apologies if this confused anybody I'll try to be more precise in the future.

Peter

Latest posts

Back