Using a endoscope for inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone used a endoscope to inspect their hives so as to minimise disturbing the bees ,or has it the opposite effect?. I'm sure that visual inspections are the best means of checking the hives ,but say in inclement weather does it have a use .Your thoughts much appreciated
John

Forget the endoscope. Your view would be so limited. I have home made clear crown boards. Good for a quick look. With the right bees and technique my bees do not seem that troubled by inspection

Only time I have used one is during winter months. Just to check they are ok, without lifting the roof.
Is it needed...probably not, but it is nice to see them huddled up.

If you don't already own one, spend your money on other bee equipment.

Very limited view and would take forever to see all you need to see, I tried it and gave up after 5mins it's just too tight in there to see anything of use.
I use perspex crown boards, eBay is chap as chips if you search thoroughly for 4mm stuff. Works out at about £10.
Very useful for checking all is well when adding fondant in the winter .

Very limited view and would take forever to see all you need to see, I tried it and gave up after 5mins it's just too tight in there to see anything of use.
I use perspex crown boards, eBay is chap as chips if you search thoroughly for 4mm stuff. Works out at about £10.
Very useful for checking all is well when adding fondant in the winter .
I make up my own with eccentric spacing which enables apiguard trays to be used in autumn.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My local tesco has today removed all the covid screens. I asked about them but was told they had all been sent back to the main depot (thats 4 hours away) so none for me :cry:

Somebody made a helluva lot of money from "COVID screens"!
A local bank was being closed a few years ago and the rip out gang were busily throwing various stuff into a huge skip. I spotted some large sheets of thin clear plastic which had been used to protect advertising signs/posters so I begged them from the gang. They are perfect for polynucs and easy to cut to size.

Latest posts

Back