Urgent Advice Please - 14x12 full of stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
I have completed varroa treatment on Wednesday and have been feeding the hives. I have gone in today to do inspection and have found that my 14x12 frames are full of stores, there is little or no brood and have seen the queen looking for somewhere to lay. My question is should I put a drawn super on top so that the bees move some of the stores upstairs to give the queen space to lay and then stop feeding them for a while.

Just stop feeding them.

And if you fancy, take out one full stores frame - and store it away carefully (via the freezer).
Replace with a frame of foundation if you don't have drawn comb.

At this time of year, more bees should be emerging from cells every day than the queen needs to lay into.
Thus every day, some cells should be coming vacant.

A 14x12 does not need to be stuffed absolutely full of stores to provide for winter. (A standard single brood National does.) You've been too generous with the syrup!

if they're not raising brood the bees you have now'll be fine overwinter.

late brood rearing is just replacing the bees that have raised them.

Thank you very much for your replies, it has put my mind at rest, I always thought that bees had to have 2-3 frames of brood going into winter, another lesson learned.

Back