Unsure if I’ve done the right thing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfredbuck

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I’ve been looking it up and like most things beekeeping there are multiple answers.

I have a single brood box National - one full super a stores which I am leaving for the bees overwinter - you’ve guessed it, last weekend I have placed the super under the brood box.

Was this the right thing to do? If not can I swap them back now?

The opinions against putting the super under are quite strong and they have put doubt in my mind. If it’s not going to matter either way I will leave them be.

Cheers
W

The opinions against putting the super under are quite strong
are they? what reasons do they give?
As a starter for ten, it's a bit late to nadir a full super as late as this in the season as it's a lot to expect them to shift it back up over the top of the brood.
And why do you think they need a full super of stores on top of what they will bring in when winter feeding?

are they? what reasons do they give?
As a starter for ten, it's a bit late to nadir a full super as late as this in the season as it's a lot to expect them to shift it back up over the top of the brood.
And why do you think they need a full super of stores on top of what they will bring in when winter feeding?
Do you think I should move it back to the top of the brood box?

If it has capped honey for them then yes, and take away any QX
Think where bees keep their honey if you let them.
Next year try doing without the super for winter. They don’t really need it unless the colony is big, in which case it needs double brood

opinions against putting the super under are quite strong
Digest all opinion but make your own decision and as you've already made one, add the outcome to your library of experience (and come back in spring and tell us the result).

If you decide to leave it below, make sure to reduce the entrance to one or two beespaces to avoid interest from wasps.

I always nadir my supers, if they have one, and have never had any problems with the bees moving, or not moving, stores. I have had queens laying in the super when I left it on the top, when I was hoping to use it as a super in the spring. Had to wait for the brood to emerge so learnt to put it underneath. Nadiring has never had that problem, but I do need help to pick the brood box up to put the super under it.

Well I went back in and moved the super back to the top - to be fair the bees are so chilled at the moment. We’ll see how they get on

What persuaded you, Wilfred?
I did a bit of reading and there was a lot of talk about how it’s not really necessary. Part of me thinks I understand the hive this way around (super above) so it makes sense to keep it this way. I don’t know, this just feels better

not really necessary
True, and you will gain experience whichever way you set them up. Bear in mind that the nest is most likely to be in the super in spring, but unless you want to run brood & half (not a good strategy) just shake the bees down, put a QX on the BB and the super on top of that.

Back