Uniting a colony with high varroa drop with another?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Single Brood colony, numbers and stores aren’t brilliant. Was thinking of uniting with another colony.

However, varroa drop has been quite high recently (30-40 daily). Also have noticed a few bees with Deformed Wing, so varroa are affecting things.

Other colonies varroa count has been low (the worst was 6-7 daily).

Is uniting the colony with the higher varroa count with another colony asking for trouble? Or should I just feed this colony, and hope they make it through winter?

Any thoughts?

Single Brood colony, numbers and stores aren’t brilliant. Was thinking of uniting with another colony.

However, varroa drop has been quite high recently (30-40 daily). Also have noticed a few bees with Deformed Wing, so varroa are affecting things.

Other colonies varroa count has been low (the worst was 6-7 daily).

Is uniting the colony with the higher varroa count with another colony asking for trouble? Or should I just feed this colony, and hope they make it through winter?

Any thoughts?
Feed them and treat the varroa problem, I wouldn't unite and risk compromising a healthy colony.

Edit: Just seen your reply, Apiguard will be less effective now temps have dropped.

Feed them and treat the varroa problem, I wouldn't unite and risk compromising a healthy colony.

Edit: Just seen your reply, Apiguard will be less effective now temps have dropped.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking.

Temperatures were 15+ early days, and most days, of Apiguard treatment. Only a few days recently where it’s dropped a degree or two below that. Mite drop has remained fairly high throughout treatment.

Back