Unite, requeen or steal šŸ˜

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If practical when uniting I move the hive three feet at a time towards the other hive, so that just before uniting they are virtually side by side.
If you cannot do that then the stray returning foragers will beg their way into neighbouring hives

- and if its too far away then just leave a box/nuc in place and collect them after 'lights out' -

If you plan to unite while the bees are flying then the hives should be side by side. If they are apart then unite in the evening after they have stopped flying. Simple.

When would you dispatch the Queen dani earlier in the day?
I would rather unite straight away in the day time which ever way your all saying hives together, 30 metres apart, hives facing different ways.
My reasons, there's lots of activity confusion makes them mix. ( using air freshener)
Lots more bee's in both hives trying to find the Queen plus more guard bee's in the evening.?

In the afternoon kill the queen.
It doesnā€™t matter whether your queen right hive is top or bottom
On the bottom hive put your newspaper on under a QX. Close up.
The top hive needs the brood box loosening off the floor.
Later in the evening when the bees have stopped flying take the roof off your bottom hive, make a few tiny slots in the newspaper if you want, then lift the other hive on top.
Iā€™ve done it loads of times. Never lose any bees from the hive Iā€™m lifting.
You have an ideal opportunity in the next few days. Itā€™s cold.

Well ... yes and no ... depends on how
Much you want the bees you are combining ... if you are that concerned about grabbing every bee then seal them up after they have finished flying in the evening move them next to the colony you want to combine them with and be sure you have everything absolutely ready so that all you have to do is put the brood box you have moved on top of the hive you are combining it with ... because ... as soon as you pick them up they will be out and all over you ... in these circumstances I would do a newspaper combine and have the paper in place before you touch the box you moved... and make sure it's the Daily Telegraph so they have something to keep them occupied once they are in place
... ;)

be sure you have everything absolutely ready so that all you have to do is put the brood box you have moved on top of the hive you are combining it with ... because ... as soon as you pick them up they will be out and all over you ...
... ;)

They never have for me.
Iā€™ve never done it any other way
Sometimes there are a few bees on the floor

I agree with the above - as long as floor is not needing to be prized away from the box!

Hives adjacent, recipient prepared. Gently lift and swiftly move the box into position. Job done - come back the following day and look for bits of chewed paper near the hive entry. If none, then suspect the bees may need help in getting through.

I have, in the past, simply placed 2 x top screens on the recipient hive earlier in the day, to prevent any bees coming up from that hive, united in the evening and removed the screen the next day (or maybe two). Works well when a bit windy for fitting sheets of newspaper.

Best for weak colony on top, if practical, but chewing through paper (for a very weak colony) can sometimes just not happen. They may cluster in one top-most corner if no brood to service (BTDT).

I will add that if united three weeks ago, the colony would likely be strong enough, very shortly, to encourage a queen cell or two (demaree?)

Put the new queen in a 3-frame nuc or mini-nuc to start with - donā€™t split the colony to weaken the ā€˜goingā€™ part. That way you may well get a reduced crop of honey from it later in the season and have one (or maybe 2) other colonies which would be strong enough to over-winter or be united later.

Two new queens, if/when both get going, will provide more workers and provide you with a choice of which to keep if temperament of one is suspect. The other alternative later in the season could be to unite and buy in a queen. Choices, choices��.

RAB

So an update, United using spray in the evening but had everything ready to go, yes remembered to prize the omg floor off earlier in the day. All went well and by mid June I had bees rammed in I brood and 3 supers. So last week there were queen cells being drawn think I have done my most organised artificial swarm ever( only taken 12 years to get sorted). Now just waiting to see if they do it right. I have 2 capped queen cells so fingers crossed. Uniting really was the best idea I've never had quite such a full box.

Well done you. In case you think it is all over, the parent hive with the QCs is probably strong enough to swarm, so reduce to one. Could make up an apidea with one QC as reserve - only needs a mug full of nurse bees. Also, have a QX on the AS until Q is nice and plump again and laying. Let any trapped drones out FTTT. Fingers crossed for good mating weather.

So an update, United using spray in the evening but had everything ready to go, yes remembered to prize the omg floor off earlier in the day. All went well and by mid June I had bees rammed in I brood and 3 supers. So last week there were queen cells being drawn think I have done my most organised artificial swarm ever( only taken 12 years to get sorted). Now just waiting to see if they do it right. I have 2 capped queen cells so fingers crossed. Uniting really was the best idea I've never had quite such a full box.

All good news then ... a honey crop and more bess ... every beekeepers dream !

Well done .. great to get an update as well.

I was wondering if it could be an issue, but I've just done the swap of hive so thought I would see this week what it's like. Bit worried to destroy all but one queen cell, and which one will be a hard decision.

I was wondering if it could be an issue, but I've just done the swap of hive so thought I would see this week what it's like. Bit worried to destroy all but one queen cell, and which one will be a hard decision.

I wouldn't ..with all your eggs in one basket it's a bigger risk that leaving two queen cells. If you leave two the bees will protect the second one until they are sure they have a viable queen. Or .. my choice would be to separate the second queen cell into a Nuc or apidea ~ at least then you have some insurance.

Latest posts

Back