Union flag rant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Help me on my campaign..... I have just watched a p & g advert with two of our uk union flags upside down, even one being held by a child in what was meant to be an opening ceremony for the Olympic games. This is the second advert I have seen with our national flag upside down. I am sure no other Country would stand for it!!! I have emailed both companies. ( I think both are American based)
Just so you know ( which I am sure you all do) the union flag is the right way up when the thin white line is at the bottom next to the flag pole, if there is no flag pole then it should be on the left!! But when on the flagpole it should definitely be at the bottom!!!
Help me make people aware!!! Be proud if our flag
:rant::rant::rant:

For any flag:
Hold the "top" of the hoist in your left hand (the side that goes against the flag pole)
and the "top" of the fly in your right hand (the side that flaps)

When the flag is the correct way up the fold/seam/hem will be away from you
ie The side towards you will be flat (the edges will be folded away from you and sewn). Even single colour flags ;)

Most flags are twice as wide as high...
Some eg China are 3:2
A very few are not quadrangles..... (Do you know any? - without Google?)

wide stripe to the top of the jackstaff......
QUOTE]
It's a flagpole! - unless it's the pole at the bows of a vessel - then when the union flag is flown there (only on Her Majesty's vessels mind you) it becomes the union Jack :)

A very few are not quadrangles..... (Do you know any? - without Google?)

That's what the Vatican and Switzerland have in common - both have square flags.

The welsh dragon would look stupid upside down, tell the Americans to get it right, I learnt this in junior school also tell them to put the U back in colour p!st off with the red line under it, annoying

without reading this thread before, just seen it in tesco store....team gb flags every where and a union flag...upside down onn their flag pole...all bunting as the torch passes the store....store mamnager did not understand my compliant...how can it fly upside down he siad

copied from the Girls book of sailing............. !

Say no more! - all my years at sea and you can guarantee two things from WAFI's - total disregard for the rule of the road and crap flag etiquette!

Originally there was no difference between the merchant navy ensign and the naval, so in port to distinguish HM vessels from the rest, the union flag was flown from the jackstaff as well as the stern. NAval vessels are now so fixated my this that the jack is flown as (not just before or just after) the warship touches alongside or as the anchor is let go.
I was very amused a few years ago when watching one of the training boats (little P class things based on customs cutters - Dasher or Boxer or maybe Prancer or Gorger) was coming alongside at Falmouth docks with a fresh faced snotty driving (badly) when the vessel was about to crash alongside I saw one of the officers getting ready to shout (here goes, I thought the usual call for a fender - and quick) but no, the call was FLAG READY! followed by an almighty crash, but simultaneously the Union Jack unfurled! phew - that was a close one! :D

.........tell the Americans to get it right, I learnt this in junior school ........annoying
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

However, you too obviously went to school before everything became P C .

Most political institutions (and teaching unions) now see the flying of the British national flag as an affront to those joining the burgeoning populations of our inner cities!!!

Why am I not surprised the yanks are behind this. :patriot: Has anyone noticed things are now "mandatory" where they would have previously been compulsory?
Take careful note that the "patriot" Smilie on this website is flying the stars and stripes! :banghead::banghead:

Latest posts

Back