unfinished supers ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had any crap building up on my OMF'S,apart from the odd dead un in the winter. Never had to do any of this 'spring cleaning' so beloved of some and even derided by beemasters like Manley

Never had any crap building up on my OMF'S,apart from the odd dead un in the winter. Never had to do any of this 'spring cleaning' so beloved of some and even derided by beemasters like Manley

After nearly three years the OMF on my Long Deep Hive was spotless, never been cleaned by me ... the entrance was at the top of the hive (and it's 14 x 12 size) so the bees must remove any scrap of debris that doesn't fall through the mesh by dragging it up to the top of the frames !

My Paynes Poly hive mesh floors are similarly clean ....

Is this another sign of hygienic bees ?

Thought I might add a comment on the original question of partly filled supers.

This is what I have done previously.

The bees work the nectar overnight removing the water content. The cells are then ready to receive more nectar the following day. First thing in the morning before the bees start flying put a clearer board under the supers. A few hours later the honey supers are clear of bees and you should be able to spin the honey off having done a shake test to ensure it is ready.

I cannot recall where I saw this suggestion first, maybe it was on here? However it works and when every drop of honey counts it works well.

Latest posts

Back