Under Lock and Key

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yasmin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello,
I'm a designer trying to think of new ways to improve beehives, in particular deter bee thieves. Just trying to think what other beekeepers think of being able to lock the components of the hive together, with the key holder being the only person able to unlock? I know this would not stop a person taking the hive, but I’m thinking without the key only way of getting inside would be to break the hive, destroying it thus making stealing the hive pointless. This being a deterrent so the thieves don’t bother stealing that particular hive.

I don’t know if I’ve explained that well enough, can provide some images of what I was thinking once I get my scanner up and working. As beekeepers would you be interested in having such a facility or would you find it cumbersome? Thoughts and constructive criticism welcome – good or bad.

Hello,
I know this would not stop a person taking the hive, but I’m thinking without the key only way of getting inside would be to break the hive, destroying it thus making stealing the hive pointless.

Unfortunately, it is what is in side that is of value, not really the "Box" they are in. (Unless it is a beehaus!)

There is currently a shortage of bees, not beehives...so supply and demand.

A hive might have a second-hand value of ~£50 - £100

A full colony of Bees might have a value of ~£200 - £300 (considering people will pay £40+ for just a queen, or £130+ for 5 frames of "bees-on-frames" )

And like any lock, they only keep out honest people, burglars break your window or just steal your car keys.

Sorry, just my views.

Last edited:
Hello Jim thanks for your message,
I am aware they are after the bees not the hive, sorry I wasn't too clear I think I digressed. If you think about a Smith hive, and had a way of locking all the components together. The thief would find it imposible to carry the whole thing full to take apart else where, the thief would not be able to open the hive to remove the frames, nor would they be able to smoke the bees first. Angry bee's probably best deterent. If would make it that little bit more of a difficulty and create barrier to steal.

(edit: By locking all the components together I mean the boxes - not the frames =) )

Last edited:
The thief would find it imposible to carry the whole thing full to take apart else where, .

Hi Yasmin

Once again I hate to bust your bubble! But have you head the word Hi-ab before?

It is a common attachment to battered old ford transit flat-beds, for which a well known "traveller" group are known to favour for some "midnight shopping"

My works is often visited by these people and you would be surprised what can be moved when the value allows.

So I suspect moving a few hives is negligible to a group of people.

And then smashing open later.

A more feasible solution, might be to hide the hives in the first place, so decent camouflage or a secure bee-shed.

Putting the entrance somewhere unusual, like underneath is a good way to deter people. If they can't conveniently block the entrance it makes it difficult to move them. If you are that concerned, I'd thread some steel wire through each box so they are all joined together, but even that presents difficulties for managing them.

I read someone used one of these "stingers" like the police use to puncture someones tyres that was driving in to push them over.

Adam

Hi Yasmin
I like your thinking. Any new design to combat the theft of hives would be appreciated. We would love to see your design when you have it finished.

If the hives are within hearing distance of your house,, you could try using micro switches like the switch for operating the interior light on your car, or mercury tilt switches, wired to a siren, or floodlights...

or a 240volt supply to a wet door mat next to the hive.....

A big chain over the hive and cemented into the ground and quality padlocks..

Geese....

Bird scarer....

Could you use those micro dot things on the hive, queen and some on the frames?

Although you would have to find them to prove they were yours.

did none of you lot ever bother to watch my collection on security videos.

if you had half of these ideas were covered and a lot better than you have thought of so far.

the big question is how do you prevent them taking the hive,

and as for using water marks and uv ink and micro dots. i see these are being a complete and utter waste of money , because i can not see when or how they are ever going to read by some one else, buy a big fat black marker pen for your frames and forget the rest as they are pointless.

if you want to prevent theft try 200 kilos of concrete.

Beedons
Where is the tracking with anti tilt device from? Can you put a link in?
Thanks

Well if there is a demand there will always be theft, tbh all we can do is be vigilant, i paint my hives Green and keep them out of view of passing traffic,
also if you get offered cheap bees question the history etc if suspicious report to the police but tbh what the hell could they do have a bee identity parade lol

Also try to make entry and exit to the apiary as difficult as possible in the dark , im not saying build traps etc last thing you want is to go to your hives to find a inspector in a trap but small ditches, hedges, bushs with thorns the size of syringes muhahaha

Is theft of bees a big problem them? :(

Security of beehives

Im going to mark mine with Smartwater, its got a unique DNA profile registered to you.

Available through the Police Neighbourhood watch sceme.

Once its on your hands its doesn't come off.

No problem if your wearing gloves.

sorry people but i am still realy struggling with the whole smart water thing, i do not see its point, who do you exsept is going to read it????

the bet security is to make sure no one knows where they are and secondly are unable to lift them

in 2007 i lost 12 full hives and equipment that was well over 600 frames all with my name clearly on them and none have ever been found since , so what use is smart water

Latest posts

Back