Undecrystallisable Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have a honey warming cabinet but I do have a steam oven. It has a special setting for decrystallising honey (German), 60C for one hour. I then plunge the jars in cold water for a few mins and bring it quickly down to room temperature. Similar to Doug Brown’s recommendation in the Sheffield tables. Works a treat. Honey stays runny for several months afterwards and no change in flavour. Plus produces lovely steamed greens (at 100c!) too

For what it’s worth I think it matters if a consumer thinks it does.
I pray to God that this isn't the case and if it is, then I also thank God for the regulatory systems we have in place, however punitive they may seem at times!

However! What's wrong with crystallised honey? Still tastes delicious. Why give it away?

Looking at what that does to a mince pie, I wouldn't risk it myself! :D
An old school pal of mine tried microwaving a scotch egg a few days ago (in lieu of a substantial meal) Neither his wife or the snack has come down from the ceiling yet :icon_204-2:

Dropping pejorative terms might help.
I genuinely apologise if anything I said was construed as pejorative, it certainly wasn't intended as such. I don't know what it was, but if anyone thought I was attempting to insult, I clearly need to work on how I write. Again, sincere heartfelt apologies, as a beginner this forum is an important resource to me so I wouldn't intentionally attempt to upset anyone.

I genuinely apologise if anything I said was construed as pejorative, it certainly wasn't intended as such. I don't know what it was, but if anyone thought I was attempting to insult, I clearly need to work on how I write. Again, sincere heartfelt apologies, as a beginner this forum is an important resource to me so I wouldn't intentionally attempt to upset anyone.
Don't worry about it, hang around here for a while and you will realise that snowflakes we ain't. Nothing wrong with your style of posting, but if you're still concerned I can give you a few private lessons on posting etiquette if you like :devilish:😁

Don't worry about it, hang around here for a while and you will realise that snowflakes we ain't. Nothing wrong with your style of posting, but if you're still concerned I can give you a few private lessons on posting etiquette if you like :devilish:😁
Etiquette...... :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Must have sailed on the Irish Rover!

Nadelik Lowen

I pray to God that this isn't the case and if it is, then I also thank God for the regulatory systems we have in place, however punitive they may seem at times!

However! What's wrong with crystallised honey? Still tastes delicious. Why give it away?

Maybe I should have said : it’s an opportunity (or threat) if a consumer thinks it does.

Gosh no, didn’t mean you. Just that words like damage/spoil/better/premium/raw are bandied about - ultimately all subjectively meaningless.

You be fine! jbms getting sensitive, never!?.. his skin is as thick as me :)
Nowt wrong with your posts.

I think it's a damn good list and I've even photo copied 20 copy's to give to other beeks.
@ Mr captain even this season about 30% of our sales have gone to people that use to buy cheap honey from the supermarket.
Most know more than you think.
Edit: these costumers know I've run out so I've had to recommend some one else.
My point is if the supply is there they will always buy good honey at what ever price, what ever walks of life they maybe.
Absolutely agree - folks just need to know where to look or have their focus directed to where good honey is to be found. I used to sell the whole summer crop to east end folks who came on holiday in the 70's to a local caravan/holiday park by train each year. They had to walk past my friends house on their way so we set up a sign and an honesty box, sold his eggs and my honey and his mums cakes. Happy all round.

Absolutely agree - folks just need to know where to look or have their focus directed to where good honey is to be found. I used to sell the whole summer crop to east end folks who came on holiday in the 70's to a local caravan/holiday park by train each year. They had to walk past my friends house on their way so we set up a sign and an honesty box, sold his eggs and my honey and his mums cakes. Happy all round.
I still sell most of my honey this way, 2 shelves full of 6-10 different honeys, just pick the one you want and post the money through the letterbox. I love to watch and listen to the customers choosing via the camera. I heard a very funny conversation between 3 male hikers who decided they had to have a jar of "Cocking" honey 😊

I don’t have a honey warming cabinet but I do have a steam oven. It has a special setting for decrystallising honey (German), 60C for one hour. I then plunge the jars in cold water for a few mins and bring it quickly down to room temperature. Similar to Doug Brown’s recommendation in the Sheffield tables. Works a treat. Honey stays runny for several months afterwards and no change in flavour. Plus produces lovely steamed greens (at 100c!) too
I did not have a honey warming cabinet so made one out of an old fridge that was not working and a 40w light bulb. Put the bulb in the bottom covered with a piece of wood and foil, to stop direct heat. Put a bucket of honey in 20-30lbs and it will liquify it in a couple of days. Any honey that crystalises easily is best IMHO to be turned into soft set honey. Just find a soft set honey you like the texture of and add it to the liquid honey once cooled at a ratio of 10%. Stir regular for the next 2 weeks or so and it will take on the crystal structure of the honey you added. Lasts for ages like this. Was always my go to method for OSR.

Latest posts

Back