Dandelion Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
I extracted two boxes of Spring honey yesterday and my OH complained at the unpleasant smell. It was clearly a high percentage of dandelion giving off the sweaty socks smell. Does this smell persist after jarring and if so does it put customers off? I understand it granulates quickly too - how hard does it usually get?
(It’s my first experience with it so don’t know what to expect).

Mine has granulated within a month. It sets hard but not like osr
The scent persists to some extent

The international food shop in Evesham sells Polish dandelion honey, £10 per kg jar so there is definitely a market for it. I have yet to add it to my regular gherkin jar purchases but will do soon.
I bought some dandelion honey in Northern Italy a few years ago (miele tarrasco?) that was delicious but did not meet with family approval.

I extracted two boxes of Spring honey yesterday and my OH complained at the unpleasant smell. It was clearly a high percentage of dandelion giving off the sweaty socks smell. Does this smell persist after jarring and if so does it put customers off? I understand it granulates quickly too - how hard does it usually get?
(It’s my first experience with it so don’t know what to expect).
It's interesting that the pongy honey thing is so infrequent...the honey can be so different year to year.

It's interesting that the pongy honey thing is so infrequent...the honey can be so different year to year.

Does buckwheat (pictured in my avatar) grow down under? Not a common crop here but a local farmer has sown it for the third year. Some love the honey, some say it smells like pig slurry..........

Does buckwheat (pictured in my avatar) grow down under? Not a common crop here but a local farmer has sown it for the third year. Some love the honey, some say it smells like pig slurry..........
I can't say I've ever seen it, although apparently it can be and is grown. I doubt it's growable anywhere I have hives ....probably too cold/dry. It looks like it flowers well, going by your avatar photo.

Mixed with dandelion honey, you could be onto a winner! “Smelly sock and slurry honey” has something of a ring to it.

Back