Uncapping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka22

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi All, This year I will have a bit more Honey to harvest than in all the previous years. I am now wondering what sort of equipment everybody uses. In the past I used a Uncapping Fork and all I had was a Stainless Steel Tray for the Capping’s. I then placed the tray in the garden for the bees to take the Honey and leave me the wax. With the first proper harvest, I now have to think of a better way. Is a Hot uncapping tray the way to go or what else could I use? Should I use a Hot uncapping knife or is the fork still fine?

It's obviously the next step from 1-2 Hives to a few more than that...

Any advice appreciated.

Hi All, This year I will have a bit more Honey to harvest than in all the previous years. I am now wondering what sort of equipment everybody uses. In the past I used a Uncapping Fork and all I had was a Stainless Steel Tray for the Capping’s. I then placed the tray in the garden for the bees to take the Honey and leave me the wax. With the first proper harvest, I now have to think of a better way. Is a Hot uncapping tray the way to go or what else could I use? Should I use a Hot uncapping knife or is the fork still fine?

It's obviously the next step from 1-2 Hives to a few more than that...

Any advice appreciated.

I used a heat gun, no mess, no cappings to sort, no damage to drawn frames, brilliant, though i'm sure some will disagree.

I like the sound of the heat gun i will defo be trying it out for sure.
I will be using a hot uncapping knife otherwise.

I used a heat gun, no mess, no cappings to sort, no damage to drawn frames, brilliant, though i'm sure some will disagree.

Agree. No mess. No cappings though and the supers do get a tad irregular.

I wouldn't change.

I have tried a Heatgun before, but I do want to save as much wax as possible and I have to admit that I also did not like the process too much, because I was worried all the time that I either cause a fire or overheat the Honey... :)

I like the sound of the heat gun i will defo be trying it out for sure.
I will be using a hot uncapping knife otherwise.

I'm fairly new myself, i hdlped someone last year uncapping with a knife & a heated knife, it made a right mess, drips everywhere, so i decided to try a heat gun & it was quicker than slicing both sides of a frame, + theres less wax for the bees to rebuild to store the next lot of honey.

I have tried a Heatgun before, but I do want to save as much wax as possible and I have to admit that I also did not like the process too much, because I was worried all the time that I either cause a fire or overheat the Honey... :)

You dont overheat the honey, it takes a quick waft of the gun to melt cappings, each to their own, i will no doubt be the only one that uses one:icon_204-2:

Okay, some like to use a Heat gun, but I think my question is more about an electric uncapping tray, is this advisable or is there a better way? There are also Capping Melters, but they are pretty expensive....

I then placed the tray in the garden for the bees to take the Honey and leave me the wax.

Just for information, this is not very good beekeeping practice!

Put the wax cappings in a rapid feeder, above a crownboard on your hive.

Just for information, this is not very good beekeeping practice!

:iagree:
I wouldn't bother wirth the hot uncapping tray, I don't know how many hives yu have - but if only a few carry on with the steel tray you're using. I probably have a few more hives :D so i have an uncapping tray (the spiked one from Abelo, only fifty quid) which allows the honey to drip away thus leaving the cappings a little less honey laden. I use a serrated 'cold uncapping' knife or a heated knofe depending on my mood.
The heat gun mullarkey is all well and good - but look at the lovely white cappings wax you're loosing out on - had two bucketfulls last year

I tried the heat gun a few years ago and it melted the wax which then ran over the cells and set again. I don't know whether it was the wrong temp or my technique. I still use a fork, which I can do over a tray whilst the extractor is running.

I uncap with a knife, the cappings go directly into a strainer cloth over a bucket. After 24-48 hours there isn't much honey left on the cappings, which are tipped into feeders and given to the bees to clean up.

That's a great idea, Thank you for the tip !

:iagree:
I wouldn't bother wirth the hot uncapping tray, I don't know how many hives yu have - but if only a few carry on with the steel tray you're using. I probably have a few more hives :D so i have an uncapping tray (the spiked one from Abelo, only fifty quid) which allows the honey to drip away thus leaving the cappings a little less honey laden. I use a serrated 'cold uncapping' knife or a heated knofe depending on my mood.
The heat gun mullarkey is all well and good - but look at the lovely white cappings wax you're loosing out on - had two bucketfulls last year

Thank you for sharing. Just a quick question, with how many hives is it worth having a hot uncapping tray? Is there any negatives about such a tray?

Oh and I totally agree with the cappings. I don't want to lose any, since I also like to make a few candles with the wax.

We use a heat gun. It is so quick and clean. We tried using an uncapping knife earlier this season but we just found it far too messy and labour intensive. Obviously if you want to save your wax it is the method to use, but we are not bothered about saving the cappings.

There you go Luke at least 7 different answers, take your pick :icon_204-2:
I can see why you want to keep the cappings if you want the wax, using the heat gun will melt them onto the cell wax but its still there, slicing the cappings of will still end up with mixed wax unless you slice carefully & thinly. You could always use the heat gun, extract the honey, then cut back the wax to the frame then you wont have so much extra honey to sort from the cappings? Thats 8 different answers for you Lol.

I Use a de-capping fork, save all the nice pristine wax cappings, put in a mesh bag or one of those cake covers with the mesh and rinse out the excess honey of which there is very little.

I was in ignorance of the correct way to use the fork until I saw a video demonstrating it.

If you look on this page and select from the videos on the RH side "The Sling Ministry" then got to the 3.0 min in point you can see how easy it is to decap using the fork.

http://www.buckfast.dk/en/lectures.html

I used to use a hot knife but since converting to the uncapping fork method I have found it easy and less mess.

Last edited:
Looks like nobody besides jenkinsbrynmair got experience with a hot uncapping tray, too bad, because I would have loved to hear more about it. Well, maybe I have to try it out myself to judge.

Sorry to post again but one thing worth mentioning about using the heat gun is theres virtually nothing goes in your strainer/filter. I done 6 supers & there was nothing blocked the strainer, no cappings or bits of wax at all.

Latest posts

Back