Uber aggressive swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All without much aggression at all. Didn't get a single sting; a few bees were hovering around the veil, but that was it. 20 minutes later, bees doing orientation flights out the front entrance, and all was calm.

Glad it all went well, not sure where you are in Suffolk, but there was a ridge of very humid and unstable air over Essex/Suffolk yesterday and our bees were a bit more protective than normal, so some of it could have been environmental?

Glad it all went well, not sure where you are in Suffolk, but there was a ridge of very humid and unstable air over Essex/Suffolk yesterday and our bees were a bit more protective than normal, so some of it could have been environmental?

Possibly, but I had just finished checking all my colonies just down the road, and they were lovely and calm.

Nuc box back on the garage roof because a fist-full of bees remained on the roof from the swarm. They've moved into the nuc. If they are still there next weekend, I'll combine them with their sisters.

A swarm moved into one of bait hives yesterday and today I decided to check them, re-queen if necessary and move to a more permanent location. While walking to the swarm. I had my suit on but hood down as I thought I was still far enough away. I got whacked on my eyelid and another to the top of my head about 50m from the hive; my eye has swollen so badly that I can hardly see out of it and I now have sore bounce. I will go back tomorrow to sort out and will be more prepared. What I can’t understand is why oh why do people keep such monsters, there can’t be any joy in having them!
The queen is now most definitely on her final few hours !
S

Do wild swarms behave differently than 'kept' bee swarms, in terms of aggression? Anyone found any difference?

Do wild swarms behave differently than 'kept' bee swarms, in terms of aggression? Anyone found any difference?

Only our first year of bee having, (im no keeper yet) so not talking from lots of experience, the second cast out of or primary hive this year took up residence in a tree for 2 days and when i got them down got 4 stings within the first 2 mins for my troubles, but the cast is from a hive that we inspect without gloves.
But the split and prime swarm are fine?

Hadn’t thought it may have been a ‘wild ‘ swarm, just assumed it had been someone’s bees. I don’t know if they are any different and although it wouldn’t be conclusive unless she is but will see if queen is marked before dispatching.

S

Several of my colonies were very bad-tempered today. Terrible season for swarming fever but honey production bounteous so far.

well, I don't know the origin of most swarms that I've picked up but I've done a few cut outs of established feral colonies and while they can vary most have been pussy cats! surprisingly gentle bees considering their home is literally being pulled apart.
most have gone on to be very productive too :)

Last edited:
well, I don't know the origin of most swarms that I've picked up but I've done a few cut outs of established feral colonies and while they can vary most have been pussy cats! surprisingly gentle bees considering there home is literally being pulled apart.
most have gone on to be very productive too :)

I would tend to agree, most cut outs I have done are more calm than some hives I have been into. As you say considering you are ripping their home apart!

I normally get a swarm from a feral colony every year they are really good tempered other swarms I've had haven't always been so good.

Latest posts

Back