Turning/moving a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msillence

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I currently have one hive but hope that they will want to expand some time this year assuming the weather ever picks up.

I was considering putting another hive essentially down stream (i.e. in the flight path) of the first. I realise this might not make for ideal working conditions so I'd like to both move the existing hive to the left probably by about 1/2 a meter and also consider turning it 90 degrees.
I can't really add another hive behind the existing or it will be in the shadow of a tree.

What do I need to consider in doing either of these operations. I presume a move of <1m should be OK. Will there be any issues with turning the hive?
I'm also presuming that it could take 3 weeks for the bee population to change over and accept the new route before adding another hive down stream?

I've tried to put together a picture of what I'm thinking of. The dotted boxes are where I'm thinking of moving hive A->A' and adding B.

Thanks

PS
Forgot to add that the path is very rarely used and there are 6 foot tall or so barrier of sapling trees between the path and hives. The bees will all want to go south.

Last edited:
I would move/turn Hive A in several small stages at weekly intervals. If you just turn it 10 - 15 degrees each time should work ok.

45 degrees x 2 will be fine.

have recently been watching bees returning to hive after removal of snelgrove board.

they aim for old entrance. find it missing. check left edge then right edge of hive. retry half way between. then head up for a circle above the hiev and end up heading towards the main entrance eventually.

heading towards the main entrance eventually.

As stated on previous threads, don't turn the hive (ie move the entrance) in this poor weather. Any delay in the bees finding the entrance could be the death of them. A few degrees would be OK, but not worth bothering with at this time. Wait for the weather to be good.

heading towards the main entrance eventually.

As stated on previous threads, don't turn the hive (ie move the entrance) in this poor weather. Any delay in the bees finding the entrance could be the death of them. A few degrees would be OK, but not worth bothering with at this time. Wait for the weather to be good.
Many thanks ill delay moving them an do 45 degrees at a time.

Latest posts

Back