Tubular heaters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have been given a couple of tubular heaters... one 45W other 60 W both 1 foot long.. new in boxes with fixed 3 pin 240V plugs
Bought for Father in laws conservatory but never used and now surplus to his requirements since he moved house!
One with instructions ( Hyco) says is set to cut out at 15 degrees C... unit is sealed so that thermostat can not be tampered with.... then also that temp of outer tube is set so as not to burn.

My warming cabinet ( Upright freezer) presently heated with 2 x 60W incandescent light bulbs plus a S1000 thermostat....
wondered if the tubular heaters could be used?

Chons da

I have been given a couple of tubular heaters... one 45W other 60 W both 1 foot long.. new in boxes with fixed 3 pin 240V plugs
Bought for Father in laws conservatory but never used and now surplus to his requirements since he moved house!
One with instructions ( Hyco) says is set to cut out at 15 degrees C... unit is sealed so that thermostat can not be tampered with.... then also that temp of outer tube is set so as not to burn.

My warming cabinet ( Upright freezer) presently heated with 2 x 60W incandescent light bulbs plus a S1000 thermostat....

Chons da
My 2’ long 120w tube has no thermostat so I use a W3001 and fan. The end of mine unscrews for wiring and I would guess you could wire directly into the heater rather than via a stat.

Attachments

• 8F0D7586-6C17-46BF-A003-C4004C6E6E4C.jpeg
    8F0D7586-6C17-46BF-A003-C4004C6E6E4C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

Chons da
The trouble is that the internal thermostat will keep the temperature at a maximum 15 degrees - they are intended as frost free heaters .
. Without bypassing that I don't think they are a lot of use in your warming cabinet. Lots of us on here have the ones without an internal thermostat and manage the temperature with an ST1000 and they work very well and are also a lot safer than incandescent light bulbs... are you sure that they are totally sealed ? Mine has a cap on the end that has two concealed screws that undo and it just comes off. If you can get ti the inside gubbins you should be able to bypass the internal thermostat and use your existing ST1000 to control the temperature... I doubt that the coating on the tubes will be a concern .. mine gets quite warm until the stat kicks in and I've not seen any problems with the plasticky coating deteriorating...Rab is your man for this type of question...

Last edited:
Thanks Pargyle

I will attempt some "reverse engineering" today !

So glad I took that 14th Edition IEE course back in the last Century!!!

Chons da

Thanks Pargyle

I will attempt some "reverse engineering" today !

So glad I took that 14th Edition IEE course back in the last Century!!!

Chons da
I'm ahead of or perhaps behind you... I did the 17th edition a few years ago ...I think they are up to the 19th now !

One of the few things the government ever did for me ... during a short period when I was unemployed they offered me the chance to do the 17th edition and they paid for it ... very proud of my sustificate - I passed the exam at the end.

I'm ahead of or perhaps behind you... I did the 17th edition a few years ago ...I think they are up to the 19th now !

One of the few things the government ever did for me ... during a short period when I was unemployed they offered me the chance to do the 17th edition and they paid for it ... very proud of my sustificate - I passed the exam at the end.
I had a Government sustifficated course to drive diggers and levellers..... 35 ton gurt likkin buggers... had to pick an egg up with the shovel!! got group H as well!!
Never did get the construction job building the M25... payment seemed to be a bowl of rice a day!
Chons da

I had a Government sustifficated course to drive diggers and levellers..... 35 ton gurt likkin buggers... had to pick an egg up with the shovel!! got group H as well!!
Never did get the construction job building the M25... payment seemed to be a bowl of rice a day!
Chons da
That definitely trumps the 17th edition but I'll raise you with my IPAF and my PASMA sustificates which allow me to drive 80' Cherry pickers and erect aluminium towers and mobile scaffolding.

Chons da
By the time I'd spent 16 years constructing the M25 it had gone up to 2 bowls a day!

Dunno, but there may be thermal fuse, attached to the heater, which will blow if the tube overheats (above the design limit).

Like my dehumidifiers which disconnect the circuit if the heater continues with no cooling by airflow, or like the gas boiler which has one to protect against overheat if the normal stat fails with contacts closed.

Many washing machines have ‘resetting’ switches, in circuit with the water heating elements - some which stop the heating when up to temp and others which only allow the timer program to continue to the next stage.

Every situation needs to be considered (and checked out) before assuming nothing untoward will happen. Your home insurance may be compromised in the event of a claim caused by someone tampering with electrics.

Latest posts

Back